Lead/Chord Design tips/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dugg Funnie, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Wassup dudes, I'm trying to re-create a synth chord sounds along these lines:

that nice buzzy, but clear, bliss deliciousness.

2. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

absynth :teeth:

spyre likes this.
  3. Dugg Funnie

No shit Sherlock, why wouldn't I use Absynth? I'm talking more about the fundamentals of the sound; it's sound like some sort of sawtooth synth with some distortion i guess, and then using a different sample above the chord (like the 7th or 9th, or whatever tension) passed through a similar distortion setup? Maybe, idk.

4. kdk

kdk Member

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question: can you ask the author/producer directly?

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Off topic: Great tune!

On topic: Which chords are you after, the randomly detuned piano-esque sound at the beginning or those "stabby" chords that start at 1:15?

6. Dugg Funnie

the stabby chords at the drop. The beginning just sounds like the right mixed of delay/reverb/reverse/etc... on a piano being mixed through to create the movement.

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Very rough guess (not currently near synth):

Sounds like a mix of 3 OSC, the first two being saws (slightly detuned) with the third being a square–though only slightly present in the sound for a just a bit of a hollow "punch".

Perhaps a LP cutoff and a noise generator are modulated via release so that cutoff is opened fully and noise is very present upon initial key press, but then closes quickly via the set release value. In other words, the perceived sound is really bright and airy during the initial hit, but then the higher frequencies become attenuated once key is depressed creating that rise/fall of energy.

It almost sounds like the pitch drops very slightly after the initial hit as well, not sure if this is via modulation or something done selectively with track automation.

The chord itself sounds like a triad spread out over three octaves.

I could be way off base here, but thought I'd at least make an attempt (albeit a possible poor one).

Cheers.