Layers of bass

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
Hi,

I've been using reason for a few weeks now, and spent ages working on the drums, now I've got that sorted im trying to get good bass sounds

I've been working on reeces and sub basses but if i use just one it sounds weak, and if i layer them up then it just sounds like a broken speaker

I've also been resampling and equin' etc

can anyone give me a quick run through of the layers and techniques to create a jump up hazardy sounding bass

If you wanna hear how far i've got on the bass sounds, check the first tune on http://myspace.com/alexidnb

Mate im really feeling your sound!

How are you getting your tracks to sound that warm and how are you creating those synth sounds?

Iv added you on myspace

Snaz
www.myspace.com/snazrecordings

cheers snaz,

basically, I use reason, and most of the mellow tracks were when i was first startin out and it was easier than the heavier stuff

becuase i'm used to writin music for i band i used to be in, its a similar structure to rock songs so here goes, I'll try and explain, and if you know reason it should hopefully make sense, this was the process i did:

create basic breakbeat, just snare and kick and possibly hats on each beat

choose an evolvin pad for a chord sequence, use triads so the chords sound eiva major or minor

add a clean sub bass sound playin the roots (main note) of the chords

add breaks into the beat, and cymbals, basically thicken up the beat.

add a moving bass pattern, maybe arpegios to give the track more motion

add lead line, the main riff, on a lead synth or something similar

add sound fx and atmospheric sounds, (find them in the textures and music fx section)

finally if you happy with that just spend time bulkin and perfecting the track, for example
add strings playin the same part as the pads
double up lead lines and pan
add eq filters to create a sense of building

the rest is just experimentation on the sound, and with a bit of work, you should have a good song

I usually get half way through these steps then get bored and start workin on another song. thats why most of the tunes on my myspace are just clips lol

hope that helps mate

Wow, considoring you haven't been producing for that long, your stuff's sounding pretty fresh. Like the Snatch sample on Nemesis!

I tell you they are some great tips for a noob like me. Song building etc. I guess having music knowledge from any genre is a great help.

Your tunes are great. I'm loving the mellow d&b sound. You're onto a winner!

Keep it up.

Cheers Alexi, your not doing anything I dont know already but your definately getting a better and warmer sound then me, keep it going!

Yeah man tbh you aint got a bad sound there at all

i quite liked the more mellow pieces on ur player

Fuck copying a sound, keep doing what u are doing and tweak yours ;)

Back
Top Bottom