Layering

k.dirsty

Hi i was wondering if some one could tell me a bit about layering samples and how its done or point me in the right direction

sam the dnb man

Variation
VIP Junglist
im still a begginer at layering to be honest.
but if your layering multiple breaks make sure u quantize them otherwise it sounds like mess, and not in the good way either

Ketz

Thinkin outside the box..
ez mate, layering can be done on differernt elements within a tune - synths, beats for example, say a reece bass sound can be composed of multiple layers (normally a lot of people split the main sound into 3 layers and process each differently - low / mid / hi) to get some more texture in there.

beats is all about layering especially nowadays - so basic layers: kick, snare (note a lot of people use more than 1 of each kick and snare as with DnB 1 is normally not enough to get that punch), hihats or shuffles of some sort, various high passed breaks, ofcourse getting them all to fit as one is the tricky part! - but that comes with practice, check Zeal's drum tutorial to start off with! ;)

Last edited:

logikz

I Am Not The King
i made the weirdest break a couple of days ago, ill see about posting it tomorrow. sound a little like dj die. not awesome like dj die just kind of samey sound quality