Layering

Discussion in 'Production' started by k.dirsty, Oct 7, 2008.

1. k.dirsty

k.dirsty New Member

Hi i was wondering if some one could tell me a bit about layering samples and how its done or point me in the right direction

2. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

im still a begginer at layering to be honest.
    but if your layering multiple breaks make sure u quantize them otherwise it sounds like mess, and not in the good way either

3. Ketz

Ketz Thinkin outside the box..

ez mate, layering can be done on differernt elements within a tune - synths, beats for example, say a reece bass sound can be composed of multiple layers (normally a lot of people split the main sound into 3 layers and process each differently - low / mid / hi) to get some more texture in there.

beats is all about layering especially nowadays - so basic layers: kick, snare (note a lot of people use more than 1 of each kick and snare as with DnB 1 is normally not enough to get that punch), hihats or shuffles of some sort, various high passed breaks, ofcourse getting them all to fit as one is the tricky part! - but that comes with practice, check Zeal's drum tutorial to start off with! ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i made the weirdest break a couple of days ago, ill see about posting it tomorrow. sound a little like dj die. not awesome like dj die just kind of samey sound quality