Layering YOU WAH SHOCK/Soundgoodifier in FL

MrWoggles

Well, the story is I was working on this tune. I hate how crappy my tunes sound when I start so i'll always throw on the soundgoodifier as a placeholder in the start. Anyways, the drums were feeling particularly miserable that day so in a rage I decided to throw on like 4 soundgoodifiers, 1 reverb, 1 distortion and a fruity compressor into the master channel.

To my surprise it actually ended up sounding very intense, absolutely evil. I tossed on a sub-sine bass and some reese and it sounded pretty sweet.

Has anyone else noticed this and also, is there an official term for this? I might in the future maybe layer 2 soundgoodifiers then export the drums.

Link (Just hit megabreak.wav)
http://drop.io/layeredbreak#

Completely made with FL samples.

sounds like theres a flanger on the beats or somat mate.
tbh i think it could be better. just my opinion though....

this... plus don't put compressors, distortion, reverb and everything else on a master level (route your drums to a buss, and put all those effects down there)

Oh yeah totally, as I said I work a lot with placeholders. I'm primarily a musician and a producer secondary. I like to get the creative process out of the way before I move on to tweaking sound.

My point again is, is this something that is done regularly? My understanding of compressors/limiters is that they sort of cut out the high and low end freqs allowing the overall output to be increased, should I keep doing this?

I'm well aware it sounds like crap, I could have told ya that ;P

compressors/limiters don't cut out any frequencies from the sounds, they work by decreasing the level of high level signals and increasing the level of low level signals (sort of squashing the levels in the signal) and that allows for the overall level to be bought up. Compressors do this gradually but limiters have more of a "brick wall" effect, making them sound a bit more brutal.

So yeah putting a compressor/limiter on your drum bus would make them sound a lot more pumping/aggressive and is a pretty common technique. But be careful, its very easy to overdo it and suck all th life out of you music. Just follow the golden rule of: if it sounds good, do it!

out of phase isint it?

ohhh ignore my comment.. lol i read ur post slighty wrong.

Last edited:
I think we are all missing the point here. Surely using a plug called the sound goodizier or watever is just wrong. lol Insert skill here.

Back
Top Bottom