layering breaks

Discussion in 'Production' started by nowwhichway, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nowwhichway

nowwhichway Member

I've heard people chatting about layering breaks, for example layering up snares or kick drums so the break sounds phatter. Any advice, I take it that for most part this is done by ear but are there any general rules that need to be followed? I work a lot with the amen but now its sounding a bit dry and I want to get it sound sick again, in a lot of the tech itch tunes the amen seems to be proper explosive - hows he do it? Iv fiddled a bit with gating which can give it a nice bursting quality - any other ideas???

Cheers

Luke

2. kama

kama benkama.net

Pitch the amen a wee bit higher than normal (+200-300cent), then put a proper 909 distorted kick under the original kick and a massive high contrast-style low pitch techy snare under the original. Congas/Bongos with a violently cut release make a nice addon under the rolls there.

Also, those 808 hihats sound nice when combined with an amen. On their own they are just weak, but they are thin enough to fit with a mashed up amen.

Damn, i better try this myself too, sound so good. Just invented as i wrote it.

3. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I just duplicate the break two more times, one with a low pass filter allowing the bass tones to come through, and one with a high pass filter, to get the highs all shiny and crisp. Mash the three layers together, get the levels right for each layer, resample and then add extra kicks, ghost snares, rides, etc (y)

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

Kick ass usva bucky boyo, poetry in motion right there.
    Jujus method in breif:
    What you want are 3 breaks that completment eachother rythmically, make one top end, one mid range and one low end. Dont just whack an eq on it and think thats it, resample it 3-4 times. I do it through my desk. Then a heavy kick and snare on top of this if necessary. Kick ass method.

5. nowwhichway

nowwhichway Member

thanks for the info guys plenty to keep me going!! Safe as..... indi...whats a ghost snare? I downloaded your sample pack, there are some wicked breaks in it, one called flip...whats the original sample or is that the one thats all u?

Luke

6. kama

kama benkama.net

Since i'm now getting strange inspirations in the middle of the night, i might aswell share them with the world.

Start with some ride-infested break like do the do or tighten up. Layer it twice, upper end and lower end, crossing at about 200-400Hz. Then run the low end through a tube amp or something similar, then make a bus channel that will have the lower end break and sub bass going through it. You could also tube the high end so it wont pale in comparison to the low end, but keep it modest so the cymbals wont pierce your ears. Compress the signal with a big treshold and tweak the release slow enough so that the bass and break kick pump in rhythm. The compressor will need patience though.... But the result will be very dancefloor bashing.

This will need a big amount of added kick and snare and a shaker-type of rhythmical base since these kind of breaks are usually very thin on their own.

Maybe tomorrow i'll get another inspiration! I'll let you know.:crazy:

7. kama

kama benkama.net

HMMMM. What i usually do is have just one break, run it through VintageWarmer or Quadrafuzz (that 1st preset does the trick with a little leveling down) and add another break that has a same kind of texture as the first one and cut it's mids down. Or add a kit of basic, almost invisible drum hits.

8. Indi

Nope, the Flip breaks and Lantern breaks in that pack are made by myself from one hits only. (y)

As for ghost snares, they are the shuffle snares that hit out of the standard 2-and-4 hits. For example, a drumloop usually consists of:

Kick_Snare_Shuffle_Shuffle_Kick_Snare

The two shuffles are usually set at lower levels, hence the expression Ghost Snares

9. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Sounds spooky! WooooOOOoooooooOOo! <-- Ghost noise

Seriously though, some good techniques in here, will be trying them at some point (y)

10. Indi

Dude, I'm shitting meh undercrackers :teeth:

11. nowwhichway

nowwhichway Member

where do i find 909 and 808 samples etc. i take it theyr the oldskool original drum machine beats...anyone know where to find em?

12. Indi

There's hundreds all over the net, just google it and you're bound to find some (y)

13. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

You got to make sure the breaks aren't too similar when you layer otherwise they'll fight for space and you won't hear the good bits in any of them.

If you select carefully and learn to EQ well then you don't have to fuck about.

Also play with dynamics by using volume envelopes, compression, expansion and using different percussion.

14. addicted*to*this

addicted*to*this Member

man this shit sounds pretty complicated.

where to begin?:twitch:

15. kama

kama benkama.net

I tested this one, here's the result.

Attached Files:

• Push.mp3
      File size:
      344.1 KB
      Views:
  16. unklefesta

unklefesta freakmasterdisaster

Yes man,

That is definately how it's done!

as far as the 808's and 909's go...

those sounds come stock in the LM7 (the drum machine in cubase)

Reason has a gaggle of them, same goes for my new favorite Drum Machine...

GURU!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005