DnB Layering Breaks?

Don't spend to much time on any given track. Bang em out and keep moving. That's the best tip i ever got... You don't want to get swallowed up in the loop hole!

Hmmm, not sure, most of the time I finish up a track in about a week. (Obviously not one solid sitting :lol: so it's probably just a few hours)

At the moment I have been struggling for ideas so am just trying to throw anything down and save it for future use :)

I will see what happens, just don't expect something to big ;) Unless I magically gain some power which helps me learn faster :P

Here's another little tip (sorry if previously posted):

If you're using Logic, use Flex time (either mono or slicing mode) to mess around with the break loops a bit. You'll find that some subtle shifting can creating some very nice FX with regards to changing up groove. It's especially effective with hi-hats.

Thanks for sharing that dude :)

I have access to Logic at school so might whack some breaks on a mem stick and have a play around ! :P

That be it, and yes it's a free VSt. Take a break and loop it about umm 32 bars or so and run lvie cut on it, bounce it down and wala, listen to what live cut did and get to choppn.

That be it, and yes it's a free VSt. Take a break and loop it about umm 32 bars or so and run lvie cut on it, bounce it down and wala, listen to what live cut did and get to choppn.

This plugin is ridiculous.
Do you have any idea what these settings do? I've had a play and you can kinda hear what some of them do but a lot of the time it just makes crazy sounds.

Don't spend to much time on any given track. Bang em out and keep moving. That's the best tip i ever got... You don't want to get swallowed up in the loop hole!

this is some relatively misguided information, giving each track your full attention as if its your last track can be highly beneficial and you'll learn things this way instead of just never learning how to structure and flow your work. Not to mention how you learn to mix-down? obviously if its shit then drop it and do something else, but you should still learn how to finish tracks and complete them

Last edited:
It's not misguided at all. I been producing almost 8 years, how long have you? You spend to much time on any given track and lots of things can go bad.

Your taking what i said out of context and turning it around. I never once said "don't" give your tracks full attention, that's two totally different things.

i didnt mean to put words in your mouth sorry, i dont believe i actually changed what you stated. "dont spend too much time on any given track. bang em out and keep moving" is your exact statement, and i disagree personally.

Doesn't matter at all how long i've been writing music, and it doesn't make you good because you've been writing that long either. my point is that you aren't going to learn regularly how to mix-down and structure your tracks if you don't at least relatively finish them and you just bang them out. Im just giving 2 sides on the argument so that people can see there isnt ONE way of doing things..

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

my point wasnt made to argue with you.. public who access these forums looking for genuine advice im saying personally: spend a long time on your beats, tidy them up, make them sound smooth, learn how to mix-down to a t. Quality over quantity.

Last edited:
It does matter how long someone has been doing something. With time comes experience.

Of course you could show another side to anything and everything. Learning to mixdown comes with experience not spending along time on one track. That's stuff i learned over the past 8 years.. You spend to much time on a single track and you find yourself in a rut. Trying to tweak something to much and before to long you have wasted a shit load of time.

Ive watch many producers do it over the years...

Again, i never said anything in your post, i merely said don't spend to much time on any given track. Plain and simple, no need to add anything to what i said.

Learning to mixdown comes with experience not spending a long time on one track.

this has been my experience as well. and i tell people wanting to start producing about the same thing; just get some tracks done as quickly as possible and forget about them. i don't believe i would have made it to where i am had it not been quantity over quality the first couple of years. that does not mean make the same track over and over again. every week i was doing a different style, gradually spending more and more time per track.

as i see it, it's like art students doing pages and pages of quick gesters/sketches before taking on painting a detailed canvas. if you start the other way around it'll just get frustrating, take ages, and you're not actually learning as fast as you would practicing the basic stuff. equally important is getting feedback and advice on mixdowns as you probably won't catch what is wrong; that's where you might iterate on the same mix a few times or just take that info and use it to inform the next.

(sorry started rambling as is my tendency)

Last edited:
Agreed. You'll learn a lot more by rough mixing 10 different tracks, rather than spending 10 times the time on perfecting one track.

sorry like i said i wasnt trying to argue and im not here for that personally i just prefer spending time on my music thats all. And you can call me wrong all you like, but there is no right way of doing this. Can i hear your music Kdance? i dont want to find out im arguing with Dr. DRE here

sorry like i said i wasnt trying to argue and im not here for that personally i just prefer spending time on my music thats all.

so do i; i'm about the slowest producer i know :lol:. can't say for the others but i am talking in the context of getting started as producer.

sorry i guess its been a while since i started producing haha

also i drop my arguments in that case, your right its a different context

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

KDANCE CAN WE HUG AND MAKE UP?

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

i get it.. i get it... lets all disagree with D-low... well then... who wants to compare cock sizes

this has been my experience as well. and i tell people wanting to start producing about the same thing; just get some tracks done as quickly as possible and forget about them. i don't believe i would have made it to where i am had it not been quantity over quality the first couple of years. that does not mean make the same track over and over again. every week i was doing a different style, gradually spending more and more time per track.

as i see it, it's like art students doing pages and pages of quick gesters/sketches before taking on painting a detailed canvas. if you start the other way around it'll just get frustrating, take ages, and you're not actually learning as fast as you would practicing the basic stuff. equally important is getting feedback and advice on mixdowns as you probably won't catch what is wrong; that's where you might iterate on the same mix a few times or just take that info and use it to inform the next.

(sorry started rambling as is my tendency)

Agree here..

The thing is, if you bust em out and keep moving on you can always come back to them old tracks you made after learning what you learned in the process and remaster them.

Back
Top Bottom