Layering Breaks/Snares ect..

Discussion in 'Production' started by flowtech1988, Mar 12, 2010.

1. flowtech1988

flowtech1988 I've been naughty, I'm banned

Bit of a noob question. Im using Logic 9

How do i layer up Breaks and Snares to beef them up without them 'phasing'? i.e. sounds like theres a phaser effect on. lol

Forgive my shit terminology

2. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

tbh mate, the best way is through eq. try to give each part its own eq space. If you're using more than one snare, then maybe give one a bit more high end than the other, and then your other snare, give a bit more low end. try adding a subtle reverb to one of the snares for it to roll off in the mix. Also with your breaks, try eqing it so that your boosting the part you want, ie if u prefer the rides, hihats, then boost it in the high end and cut the bass. if you prefer the snares or rolls, then boost it in the mids, with a little bit of a high boost and then cut the bass out.
    Hope that helps

3. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Your terminologys right there, it is phasing thats your problem. If you zoom in on the individual hits, you should be able to see more clearly if theyre in time or not, say you have 3 snare hits layered up, you want to make sure they all hit at exactly the same time, similar sounding hits that are a few milliseconds apart can cause loads of problems. You should be able to have a "grid" view that will show beats and bars as vertical lines, so that'll make getting the hits on time a lot easier, just zoom right in, and get them sitting exactly on the lines.

Freeks advice about EQ'ing is good, but you need to make sure all your hits are aligned properly first otherwise your fighting a losing battle. If youve got a break that has kicks and snares in, and your still layering your own kick and snare hits in, then it can help a lot to delete the ones from the break, if you do this you'll need to create fades where the gaps are to make sure theres no clicks and pops where you've cut out the audio.

4. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

also, the swing on the beat can help...

5. Dimension

Dimension New Member

tuning is extremly important tho dnt forget that