laptop producers, sound cards?

DJPancake

NEW NAME IS DJ INCLINED
Just as i posted i saw there were a few simular threads already, but this is deffinitly a new topic.

What are you lap top producers useing for sound cards?

As a mac book (nonpro) user there ain't much i could do to upgrade. I know i don't really have to because ilm going to be doing dance on my laptop with low latency programs and smaller audio files. But soon I will produce rap on my buddies desktop PC with a fancy M-Audio card and an M-Box and Protools. :D

Its odd how Macs are so common in the music industry but Apple doesn't have a primo upgrade or anything for it. haha

are those little usb cards any good?

Maybe i could smash this into the CD drive? lol

audigy2_8.jpg

I think it's all hype and competition that makes me think i need to upgrade; I know that I don't need to and it would be ridiculously hard. haha

I'm not looking for specific answers, just a good discussion regarding laptop sound cards.

C44-3396-Main-JH.jph.jpg
ebest24b224em.jpg
oimg_CA00194517.jpg

As a mac book (nonpro) user there ain't much i could do to upgrade. I know i don't really have to because ilm going to be doing dance on my laptop with low latency programs and smaller audio files. But soon I will produce rap on my buddies desktop PC with a fancy M-Audio card and an M-Box and Protools. :D

Theres plenty you can do to upgrade, just go for an external interface. You mention your mate having an M-Box and pro tools, this isnt a bad option and would run ok on your macbook, I hooked the old original M-Box up to the standard macbooks at work and it worked fine, Im presuming the new Mbox series (Mbox 2, Mbox mini etc) would work aswel, but I havnt tried them myself. If your not keen on being fairly limited to Pro Tools then any similar USB interface will do just as well.

Oh, and if hes got the Mbox then he doesnt need the "fancy M-Audio soundcard", as the M-Box is the soundcard itself. To use an M-Audio soundcard with PT you need a different version of the software called "Pro Tools M-Powered" instead of Pro Tools LE.

laptop, or non laptop, what you should get is an external interface.
I have this one:
desktop_konnekt_6.jpg

The desktop Konnekt 6 by T.C. electronic.
Which almost never dropouts and has 64bit support and drivers.
It's easy to carry and has inputs for recording mic and that stuff. It's easy to carry too, the only "problem" is that you need a firewire port if you don't have, go for an usb card ;)

Its odd how Macs are so common in the music industry but Apple doesn't have a primo upgrade or anything for it

i think it's all hype and competition that makes me think i need to upgrade; I know that I don't need to and it would be ridiculously hard. haha

I'm not looking for specific answers, just a good discussion regarding laptop sound cards.

there's tons of options for soundcards that are designed for macs, so not sure where you get your facts :D
apogee has some great FW interfaces, with the duet and solo. the ones i go for are the edirols, ua 25ex and ua 101, and they both work great with pc or mac. but for full pimp action, id go for a RME multiface on express card, but you're looking at around £1000.
anything with a mini jack connection is consumer, and it will not help you make music one bit. you could certainly make music by just using the onboard care, but the moment you want to integrate another piece of professional gear, you will come to trouble. no balanced outs means no decent connection for active monitors, no way to record with a condenser mic, and of course the added latency.
i know that hype is a big issue when looking at music gear, but id certainly recommend an upgrade from the onboard soundcard, juts to have your mind at ease.

i have that little blue one at the top that says 3d sound on it.

considerin it was only £2 its good but it is proper genric i would much rather go with the one native instruments has out or just one from a company in the industry

but like i said for £2 i have two audio outputs on my computer which is well handy

i have a macbook pro, and i use apogee's one. portable and awesome, but might be a little restrictive depending on what you are doing. great sound though.

motion audio,

I told him about the M-Box and M-Audio sound card thing but he bought both anyways.

I'm not sure if i really need to do an upgrade; i haven't had any problems with it, sound quality seems fine.

what are some advantages and disadvantages?

Back
Top Bottom