Laptop dj'ing vs the real thing

bone

Ive been using virtual dj for a month or so now, but have never used an actual pair of decks. Was just wondeirng what people's opinions were on dj'ing from the laptop against doing the stuff for real?!

you'll have people hound you for using software, usually people who use vinyl - so prepare yourself for the shit storm that will probably come with a thread like this.

but i've got decks and use traktor pro with a midi controller - i mix better and more creatively with software so I prefer it. but, each to their own!

as long as you're comfortable with what you're using, then stick with it :)

Yeah, its just that i've only recently got into mixing properly, and so didnt want to put to put too much in the way of funds in before i knew that it would be a sounds investment! Why is it that doing it all on a computer is so frowned upon then? Just cos it is so easy?

Cheers for the heads up on the barrage of abuse that may come my way haha

Sure, I agree with trying it out on software before buying decks - that's what I did then ended up back on software... Pretty much for financial reasons more than anything.

It depends how you're mixing on software I guess. Before I set mine up properly (for about 4 years) I used to hit the sync button and try and work out some mixes. Now I set it up so I can cue like I can using my decks, I often just load the tunes, and minimise Traktor so I can't see the bpm counters and beatmatch using the pitch bend/pitch faders on my controller which makes it a bit more fun.

I've not used VirtualDJ myself so I don't know how much it does for you lol...

Yeah, its got the sync buttons and beatmatching etc.. though it does have a slight problem that it doesnt always analyse the beats correctly - so you have to end up listening by ear for the begging of the bar to drop the next tune in. I have actually really enjoyed playing around with the trial version, throwing a few (very short!) mixes together here and there.

Got any suggestions for a first pair of decks and a mixer then? :)

vdj is easy but you cant really get a good sound out of it really, i started on it but onlty when i was starting out and playin about, now i hav a pair or technics 1210mk2s and a numark icdx

I just find it quite diffcult to use with the eq's and stuff? Its like dj'ing with one finger, only being able to move one thing at a time. Just that decks are so dam expensive.. and my free trail runs out in a day or two! Haha

you'll never know how creative you can be until you have actual music in your hands to put down on a platter though. get involved with that mixer, touch those records.

virtual dj is a bit ghey really. i've played with it, but it's a poor excuse for djing. no offence meant, but just get some decks and get stuck in fella, best advice i could give you

Do yourself the biggest favour you ever have and get yourself a pair of technics 1210s / 1200s mk2s

Can get a really good condition pair for about £300 from ebay, might even get a mixer with that too if your lucky

It will honestly probably be the best investment you will ever make, unless your not really bothered about djing?

Don't worry too much about what mixer you using in the early stages, what you want to concentrate on is learning to beatmatch and that's what the technics are for :)

Software djing is fun and is good to try things, but it doesn't compare to using a pair of decks at all

And no joke, it is a million times easier lol

Yes, it does seem that investment in some real pieces of kit are needed! One problem - i have already spent about £60 odd on various mp3s that ive mixed about with, so would cd-decks be a more viable option?

Yes, it does seem that investment in some real pieces of kit are needed! One problem - i have already spent about £60 odd on various mp3s that ive mixed about with, so would cd-decks be a more viable option?

Get Serato.

Find out what it is first though ;) lol

i view it the same as CD's, there good in conjunction not as a replacement.

i would like to have a proper go though, interesting doors can be opened with such things

my mate bought cd decks for £400 and he hardly uses them,

the beat counters dont work because (apparantly) they only read upto about 140bpm and then they just chat mumbo jumbo coz they cant read any higher..

the pitch is so sensitive that it makes beat matching a nearly impossible thing..

so he hardly touches them.

so i would say to go with vinyl only because the cd decks cant tell you a bpm and are so sensitive i could never really matcha beat

my mate bought cd decks for £400 and he hardly uses them,

the beat counters dont work because (apparantly) they only read upto about 140bpm and then they just chat mumbo jumbo coz they cant read any higher..

the pitch is so sensitive that it makes beat matching a nearly impossible thing..

so he hardly touches them.

so i would say to go with vinyl only because the cd decks cant tell you a bpm and are so sensitive i could never really matcha beat

depends what model you have. if you have pioneers then your laughin. for price though.........you gotta be joking

Back
Top Bottom