Kyowa Stylii

Olllie

Bom Bom Cloud
VIP Junglist
I decided to buy some spare styli for my stanton 500's and decided to go for these cheap knock offs. However, when I tested them on a brand new vinyl they are skipping.

Do new stylii need to be worn in at all? Or are these cheap stylii just crap? I'm back to using the old ones now (genuine stanton stylii, god knows how old but they never skip).

By the way I will be looking to upgrade cartridges when I can afford the investment, first on my priority of student-loan spendings is the HD25 headphones :cool:

No, new styli should skip less not more, they shouldn't need wearing in...

They're probably skipping because they have a different weight to your sure ones - as they're cheap knock off's they're probably lighter... Take a look at the info you've got with them, it should tell you the tracking weight on them, so re balance your tone arm to the correct weight and it should stop skipping... If you don't know how to do this search this forum, I've posted before about how to do this, that twatty fella who does tutorials on YouTube has a vid up there how to do it, so you could search there too...

Last edited:
All DJ stylii do need breaking in. Leave the needle resting on a record's runout groove overnight (not spinning of course). That should be enough.

i have to break my shures 447s in, that for defo, it tells ya on the Q Bert DIY Scratch DVD to play a record in full like 5 times before they will be worn in...my shures jumped at first now they r peachy

Fair enough, I stand corrected!

My Ortofon concorde pro s seem to be peach right out the box...

Do check the tracking weight and set them up properly all the same though!

Back
Top Bottom