Kurt Cobains "Montage of Heck"

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by miszt, Nov 1, 2014.

1. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Weird fella Kurt Cobain, my guess his he was high as a kite or coming down when he made this...

[video=vimeo;35576701]http://vimeo.com/35576701[/video]

ThePapa likes this.
  2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

so utterly nonsensical. wonder if he knew that or if he was like "when the establishment hears this maaaan, its gonna kill em, this is powerful stuff". because it is totally meaningless and vulgar. i guess alls in all very kurt.

3. xiris

xiris Constantly Learning

the fuck did i just listen to?

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

psy trance before hippies discovered the house beat

xiris and Dannyboy93 like this.
  5. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

Re: Kurt Cobains "Montage of Heck"

cracked out kurt, the good years, wanna listen to this on some hardcore trippies to see if I can crack cobains code

- - - Updated - - -

:rofl:

6. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I think if he never died he would be a considered a joke.

7. logikz

i dont know, alls in all its pretty easy, its first these 100% woody woodchuck 1960's tv series like "happy days" and other shows that basically coined the term "jumped the dolphin" or whatever the fuck that expression was, its the dad of the family giving somebody high praise sitting round the campfire, and then a sequence of what sounds like somebody urinating, and so forth.

i didnt listen to much, but that seems to be the size of it. opinions?

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

doubt it, Nirvana still gets airplay, and they filled stadiums easily when they where playing, pretty much every "grunge" "alt" "rock" band around today has copied Nirvana's style...cant underestimate the effect he/they had on music

logikz likes this.
  9. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

True, but how long do people really want to listen to whiny teenage angst music, and the same three power chords over and over. The dude is a legend and still beloved, but I can not help but think he is more of a faux martyr than creative genius. I think if given enough time he would of gone the way of Syd Barrett.

10. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Now that's something interesting: comparing a junkie who was put in the success spotlight by Mtv and the junkie who was the original vocalist of one of the most influential prog rock bands of all time. Keep going...

11. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

I wouldn't call him a genius, but he certainly was a great artist, and one of the best songwriters rock (and pop) has seen...look past the few pop hits from Nevermind, and you find a songwriter that talks about things which are completely alien to most rock/pop bands, and subjects that society liked to pretend didnt happen much...rape, mental illness, child abuse to name a few...teenage angst doesn't quite do his music justice imo.

who knows where he would have ended up...if he'd got off the smack and cleaned up, who knows what kind of man would have been left behind, but that was never going to happen

12. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Re: Kurt Cobains "Montage of Heck"

Did you ever see that family guy joke where Brian ate out of the trash?

Peral Jam, that being said I think there was a respectable rivalry back then between Pearl Jam and Nirvana. If I was not ten years old I would of been listening to the... Pixies. I also really liked Smashing Pumpkins and Sublime back then too. Oh and Reel Big Fish later on.
    That being said, if you are a Cobain fan, it is really fun to listen to the Pixies and Neil Young and then listen to Nirvana. You can really tell where a lot of his musical influence came from.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  13. logikz

fk you. go listen to lead belly you pansy. and cobain is as much not a genius as who ever the fk this syd barret you speak of is. OR ISNT.

they killed it, nirvana killed it, its that simple. they were the worlds grandest icons of a scene that existed then and only then, in that particular corner of time.
    never before had the world witnessed a band that intentionally tried to be shitty and suicidal. well, kurt was, its pretty clear dave grohl had about as much incommon with kurt as stay-puft marshmallow man, remember foo fighters first single? it was a cover of "falling into you" and the video was dave doing all the methos commercials???

whether its aged well or not is another question. and if kurt was a junkie or not is more irrelevant than all the record company created grunge bandwagon clones that precisely NOONE remembers today, but hated with a murderous passion back then.

14. Dark Lizardro

Some people say that grunge killed metal, you know? In fact, Mtv killed metal with grunge. In fact, metal was dead before that. In fact, commas are meant to be use in some occasions, not all the time as I tend to use them. In fact, Syd Barret was a junkie who suffered from mental problems that were originated by his drug abuse. In fact, I don't even know what I'm doing here now.

15. logikz

clearly updating me on the (very familiar name!) life and times of syd barrett. what was his band and did he kill himself?
    and about music genres dying, there is no such thing. genres cant die. they can dissipate, as in get assimilated into all living music, like triphop did. you cant get triphop anymore. you can get downtempo, but anything from dark ambient to idm to theivery corporation can be downtempo, but you can hear triphop in all living music. but other than becoming a universally constant influence on all music, a genre cant die. the first genre i ever heard of that was dead was punk, remember that? in the early 90s? punx dead and that? then jungles dead. hip hop is dead. all these genres have been popping for the longest time. so genres, imo, cant die, as such. i mean, what constitutes a dead genre? i went to a consert with a band whos main influence was alice in chains the other day. in an industrial climate where record labels are superfluous and on the whole unnecessary, no genre will ever have to die again.

silly offshoot subgenres that dont actually exist to begin with can die. like "drill" "trap" "hyphy" where the only difference to crunk is that they roll the 808 hihats a little more and the topics of the raps is more about x or y, they can and will die. but that comes down to if a genre ever existed to begin with. by my reckoninig, there are 5 criteria that a genre has to fulfill to exist

0. there is a reasonably distinct sound
    1. there are producers
    2. there are fans (there are people buying it)
    4. there are outlets for this type of music (i.e its being sold somewhere)
    5. there are events (there is a "scene")

basically, by my reckoning. fulfill those, and you got something that simply can not die.

which doesnt account for big beat. big beat was a clearly distinct thing that went big in the 90s and died like a fucking... something really really dead. wonder what happened to that?
    even as big beat was making it huge though, we all knew it was shit and had to go. soon. dont think anyone can deny that. but skint was HOT. strange that.

16. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

They also killed my girlfriend... well she killed herself when Kurt was found dead for some odd reason (shit she still had me...) Almost true story.

On a side note i thought more of mudhoney

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  17. Dark Lizardro

You should do a little research on Pink Floyd's history, Karl.

18. logikz

is this real? if so, very sorry to hear that, ron.

and pink floyd? is that the guy that wrote phil collins album?

19. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

She slit her wrists i dunno where she is now she was sectioned... Pretty mad how someone could have such an impact on a young life.

LOL Im with Ysidro here bro The Floyd are Amazing and a big influence on my take on music as i imagine they are for him too... LOL PHill collins :D

20. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^ Can we get Ron some Skulls pls, it's bugging my ocd ha

ManuForti likes this.