KUNG FU

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by hyperd4eva, Mar 22, 2010.

1. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Going for my first class in kung fu tommorow! anyone else do any martial arts or have any advice to take in with me!?

2. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

Windmills ftw (y)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  3. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Been doing Thai Boxing for 3 years, currently having a break due to work, did KungFu for 6 months a few years ago.

Don't try and keep up with the more experienced people, just listen to any instructions and advice (not just from instructor but from other students as well).

Relax and try to enjoy it.

You should get a good workout, but your legs will prol ache next day, (depending what style of KungFu it is).

4. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

Aim for the balls

5. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

SREEP DE REG

6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

yell BANGSAI

7. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Cool man cheers. how did u find it? was it not for you?

8. logikz

kung fu or marital arts in general are not team sports, theyre highly individual. so dont try and impress anyone, dont give or buy into any kind of attitude, and dont rush the techniques. regardless of what your training partner says.
    ive done lots of wu shu and kung fu and when you find a style that suits you its brilliant, something that feels applicable to the real world. standing in rows punching air does not suit me, training forms with no reason does not suit me (why would you, really?)

9. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

So what did u find the best to do then? im doing it more for the helth part and something new. a new hobby i guess. its a month free trial so im gonna see how it goes and maybe look into other ones i can do.

10. logikz

i found a style that gives you several applications with each technique, long, mid and close range, wrestling and the last hour you kind of spar with those particular techniques.
    forms thoroughly explained in detail which was very refreshing after years of doing abstract jazz ballet for no damn reason with the other styles.
    that guy took me for 2000 euros and told me to watch my mouth when i confronted him about it which does make me feel kind of gloomy about the whole topic

11. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Just run forwards with your arms out

12. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

im not really following mate!So what he was teaching you was bullshit basically?

13. logikz

no no his teaching and the style itself is in my opinion the best there is, but i forgot to turn off the autopayment for 3 years and he said to go fuck myself and watch my mouth when i asked for it back. he even charged me 3 more months and a yearly fee.

14. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

ooooh shit! thats fuckin shit man! 2 grand!? not alot you can do to a kung fu nut job either! wanker.!

15. D BREAKNECK

It was good, the instructor was good, and I enjoyed it while I did it. There's many different styles of kungfu, it was Shaolin Long Form that I was doing,which involves lots of high kicks, I'm not that tall so that didn't especially suit. Also, I was the only beginner in the class, it's good training with more experienced ppl, but also good to have ppl at your level to learn with. Like Logikz says, if you find a style that suits it's much easier and feels right.

I much prefer Thai Boxing, just cos it's much more immediate, and easier to pick and choose the techniques that suit your body type and fighting style (than the style of kungfu I was doing), not to dis kungfu at all.

What style is it you're trying? Also, if you can do 2 sessions a week you'll pick up everything much quicker than just doing once a week.

16. logikz

yeah two, but three is the rule really

17. D BREAKNECK

Yeah 3 sessions a week is ideal, but maybe quite hardcore for a beginner til he gets into the basics.

I meant just once a week isn't really enough to progress quickly.

Hyperd, have you got a link to a club website?

18. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

http://www.kung-fu-lessons.co.uk/ tell me what u think mate

19. D BREAKNECK

There's a saying 'never judge a martial arts club by it's website', but it all looks alright, very slick (but that's the style lots go for). Training rooms look well equipped, and there's plenty of classes a week.

Make sure you know how much the ongoing fees are after the first month, and how long you have to sign up for. Lots of places charge yearly membership plus a price per lesson, which I prefer (I pay £38 a year plus £4 per lesson)

It's Wingchun which is good, very stand up and punch orientated. Very practical and less 'forms'.

I'd deffo say try out some other martial arts before committing to signing up to paid contracts (which I'd expect they have from the website), yeah, you'll probably love it, but it may just be the exercise and the learning to hit things that you are loving.

You should look at martialartsplanet.com which has some very good forums, beginner sections, discussions on what to look for in a club etc, articles etc.

20. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Thanks alot mate this is really helpfull. i will let you know how i get on! what other ones do u suggest i try?