KRK Subwoofer vs Monitor Upgrade

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
Currently using KRK RP5 G2's and im not feeling the 90watt situation, they can't hack the volume i need, they very nearly can.. Just not quite. Basically i want to know if its worth my buying the KRK subwoofer to accompany my RP5's or sell my monitors and get some KRK 6's.. or possibly 8's, either way it will work out cheaper than buying the sub.

Thoughts? Cheers

I was in the same boat. I used to have the 5s in a really small room and when I moved into a bigger mixing room I needed more decibels (don't worry about the watt rating look at the decibels that will give you a better idea of how loud they are). After a LOT of saving I'm now lucky enough to have the KRK RP8s and the RP10 sub. To be honest the 8s are VERY bass heavy on their own. They're also a hell of a lot of louder than the 5s so if its volume your after I would recommend skipping the 6s and go for the 8s. If you sell the 5s you should only need about 100 to upgrade. Go for B stock ex display or something. They're cheaper and they still have a 3 year guarantee.

Don't get me wrong the sub is AMAZING but with the bass from the 8s and the sub I find myself turning up the highs all the time. I think if you went for the sub and kept the RP5s you'd have far too much bass and wouldn't hear the kicks and snares well enough. Go for the 8s first then if you really want to ruin your internal organs get yourself the sub.

As a complete alternative, if I were to buy again, I would actually go for the Yamaha HS80Ms:

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/hs_series/hs80m/

A mate of mine bought a pair and they are VERY VERY crisp. They're cheaper than the KRKs, have more controls on the rear to adjust for the room size etc and the bass isn't as overpowering on the standard settings (although you can definately get them there with a little adjustment). If you're just mixing the KRKs will do you very very well and I doubt you'll have any complaints. BUT if you're getting on the production I would highly recommend the Yamahas. Generally if your tune sounds good on them it will sound good anywhere! Oh yeah they're also a tad louder at full wack. They also do a sub of the same quality.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you get.

epic. thats awesome mate thats exactly what i needed to know, wether to get the 6's or the 8's as i realised the subs a bit out of price range!! Will be going for the 8's i think :) Thanks alot mate ill let you know how i get on with them once i have them!!

Back
Top Bottom