KRK RP5 Problems

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by muzzadj, Jan 24, 2013.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Having a problem with one of my KRK's. Well 2 problems...

1st being that even with no input it has a constant hum/fuzz. I'm guessing its a loose connection somewhere but anyone else had a similar problem and can clarify how to fix? I'm pretty damn useless when it comes to the technical side of my equipment.

2nd problem is that when it has got an input it will only play really quietly (through the fuzz)

cheers in advance :)

2. megagnome

megagnome Member

Don't have these speakers, but I assume this is a ground related problem. Did you buy these new. If yes I'd suggest not messing around yourself.

3. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

What cables you using? XLR or RCA? Do the cables go anywhere near anything that could be interferring?

Im willing to bet its a ground issue tbh.

Also, make you youve got them set up right (im sure i dont need to tell you how to do it), but make sure the gain on the back of the rpk isnt too high etc.

4. megagnome

megagnome Member

in case you have TRS connectors hooked up to your speakers, make sure you use the ones specified. (There's symmetrical and unsymmetrical ones to be had). Do you have any options on connection types?

5. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Running XLR. This isn't the point though really, even with nothing connected it does it. Wherever it is.

6. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

if you bought them new take them back to where you got them or ring up the place and get replacements. they shouldnt fuzz loudly with no input!

7. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

im willing to bet its a ground problem, although its common to get ground issues with phono/rca, you can still get bad ground hum even using xlr.
    The best fix is to use a DI box to raise the ground: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI20.aspx

8. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

surely if it hums even with no inputs connected the speakers fucked? i may be wrong, please correct me if i am!

9. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

It can be the gain on the speakers is too high, so the almost inaudible interference is amplified awfully.

10. IFTN

IFTN Active Member

i had this problem with mine, it went away when i unplugged my lamp (??). so i just plugged my lamp in somewhere else and wahey, no buzz!