KRK Rokit 6's - good for dnb/dubstep production?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
So I've got some money saved and could do with some new monitors, ive currently got some Alesis M1 320's which fucking suck for making dnb and dubstep - theres no bass at all in them.

So at first i was thinking the KRK Rokit 5's but i hear theres not that much bass in them either so then im thinking the Rokit 6's, would these be good for producing? Or is it worth the extra to get the KRK Rokit 8's? I'm producing in my bedroom, and the room size is about 3x3m or something, would the 8's be overkill for a room that size?

advice is appreciated, cheers

i have the 8s, and my buddy has the 6s. both are good - obviously you will get better bass out of the 8s, but i was also pleasantly surprised when his 6s arrived.

I think they really improve the creative process of constructing a track but they make your tracks sound amazing at times when they really arent.

I'd say they are ideal for arrangements but i'd want a pair of NS10s for an extra reference.
However I do not have a suitable budget

I think they really improve the creative process of constructing a track but they make your tracks sound amazing at times when they really arent.

I'd say they are ideal for arrangements but i'd want a pair of NS10s for an extra reference.
However I do not have a suitable budget

hmmmm. normally monitors should display what is there and not should not enhance your sound ...

for me those were to small tbh, i love my alesis m1 mk2 :)

Sony-SRS-D211-2.1-PC-Speakers.jpg

get some of these bad boys!lol
thats wat i use
probly shud get monitors

yeh they are nice and crisp, but they'll give the illusion of more bass because they are ported (the little hole at bottom),

i own a pair of the 6's.

they are my first pair of monitors and when i got them, the sound was strange to me. at first they may seem "cold" or sort of...not warm? i don't know, it's hard to describe but when it came to listening to music, i was very used to the 6x8inch speakers in my car which make ANYTHING sound amazing.

i can tell you though, if you can make something sound amazing on these monitors, it will sound amazing on any commercial speaker system. you can get really good clarity and precision with these monitors.

as for the bass, it's damn good for a 6 inch set of speakers and i don't feel the need for a sub. i have them set up facing me about 2 feet away from me and at first, i had to compensate by bringing up bassier elements in my tunes because when you sit closer to them, the bass isn't as prevalent, but sitting back (2-3m) or moving them further away from you will enhance the bass greatly. i'm not sure if it's my studio construction or the actual speakers, but sitting closer to them reduces how loud bass is.

all in all, i've been very happy with them. it took me a while to understand where they're at sonically but now i know and i know how something truly sounds if it's played through these monitors.

im also stuck with that decision. When i was at the musicstore in town and listen to krk 5 krk 6 i got surprised coz i thought they didnt sound that good (can be coz on every forum everybody is raising these to the sky). But in the other hand, do you guys think buying the krk 6's is enough instead of buying the krk 8's? im not gonna use them to blow up the hole neighborhood ^_^ i guess its just to learn to listen to every monitor.

its also the half the price on thomann between the 6's and 8's.

Last edited:
im also stuck with that decision. When i was at the musicstore in town and listen to krk 5 krk 6 i got surprised coz i thought they didnt sound that good (can be coz on every forum everybody is raising these to the sky). But in the other hand, do you guys think buying the krk 6's is enough instead of buying the krk 8's? im not gonna use them to blow up the hole neighborhood ^_^ i guess its just to learn to listen to every monitor.

its also the half the price on thomann between the 6's and 8's.

imo, you really don't need the 8's. i mean, assuming the sound quality is the same between the 6 and 8's, all you're getting is more volume and more bass. more volume is kind of irrelevant cause you can crank the 6's till your ears hurt and in a production studio, what's the point? as for bass, well i've talked about that. for double the price, it hardly seems worth it.

imo, you really don't need the 8's. i mean, assuming the sound quality is the same between the 6 and 8's, all you're getting is more volume and more bass. more volume is kind of irrelevant cause you can crank the 6's till your ears hurt and in a production studio, what's the point? as for bass, well i've talked about that. for double the price, it hardly seems worth it.

True! i think right now i will go for the 6's, with the money left over can i for example buy a microkorg. better spent money :)

I was going to open up a new thread, but seeing as you lot are all here, if I bought a pair of rokit 5/6s, would I need a sub on top of that?

I went for the yamaha HS80's as they were less overly boomy than the KRK's I tried (6's 8's and VXTs) they are also close to the original NS10's but with a much deeper bottom end that you can tune with the controls on the back of each speaker.

Been considering these for a while, sounds like you can't go wrong for the price. May have to make a purchase this weekend!

Yeah im gonna order mine next week, im also gonna get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 interface to go with them...

Back
Top Bottom