Komplete Audio 6 - Major issues - any help appreciated

wilki

I am losing the will to live with this device. If any of you could assist It would be massively appreciated...

I recently purchased the Komplete Audio 6 Interface and ran through the install which was all easy enough. However, my laptop doesnt recognize it when plugging it in to a USB 2.0 port. I have tried different ports and made sure no other devices are plugged in. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and made sure that I have downloaded the latest driver (3.03) from the Native Instruments website. However, it still doesn't work. After plugging it into the USB Port I get the green light on the interface to say that it is connected, however, in the Komplete Audio Control Panel is states that no Komplete audio 6 Interface is found. Nothing is listed in my Devices on my computer either?

My laptop is a brand new Acer Windows 7 64 BIT 8g RAM. My Windows is up to date.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? This has got to be a driver issue but I cant find any info anywhere on whats gone wrong.

Just wondered if anyone had a chance to look over this? I have literally searched everywhere for further info and am still waiting to hear back from NI Support.

The only thing I can think of is that USB ports on my laptop are not USB 2.0 which I find hard to believe as its a brand new laptop. Its this one below

http://www.okobe.co.uk/ws/product/Ac...-HP/1000145208

Surely it cant be this, but I have no idea what else it could be? Anyone got this Interface or had similar issues?

I'm not familiar with the stuff you're looking at but we can do some basic troubleshooting.

When you plug the device in, do you mean it doesn't turn up in Windows or that the unit itself doesn't turn on at all? As for drivers, I would uninstall all the drivers and restart every time you do make a change.

I was also suspecting if this was a power thing as well. I know that the device is meant to be powered entirely over USB, but are your USB ports able to supply enough power to run the interface? Just thinking aloud here, but if you can try it on a desktop machine as well that would help find out if it was a problem with the laptop or the device.

Edit: You may be experiencing the same problems as these guys, where your USB 3 port is causing conflicts.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149340

You might have to go into the BIOS and switch the speed from 3 to 2. Usually you hold a button during the startup sequence, consult your laptop manual for which button (usually delete).

Last edited:
Thanks so mu ch for the response, really appreciate it.

Ok, so after installing the latest drivers from Native Instruments and plugging in the device on a USB 2.0 port (as usb 3.0 wont work apparently) nothing shows up in Windows Device Manager. The power to the Interface is working as the LED to show that their is a usb connection lights up green.

Its a brand new laptop which has 2 usb 2.0 ports and a usb 3.0 port so surely they are powerful enough. I have tried each one, but none of them work. However, I will definitely try connecting it to a different laptop tonight to see if I have the same problem.

Thanks again for your help. I'll probably spend another couple of hours on it tonight and hopefully come back with some positive news. So frustrating, especially reading peoples feedback on other forums where the device is working straight out of the box with no issues as it should do!

It's not just whether it's USB 2 or 3; USB is supposed to be able to provide power to devices (mice, keyboards, memory sticks etc) but depending on how the hubs are made and how much power they supply, sometimes they won't work unless the device you plug in has an external power source to provide the right amount of power (my Alesis USB mixer is in this category).

Definitely try using it in another laptop or PC, as it may actually be the unit that is at fault here (which is great, as the solution is just an easy swap back to NI for a new one). As you say, use 2.0 over 3.0 for compatibility issues. Can you also try plugging your laptop in to the power brick when you try it (maybe some kind of power management system that sets USB to low-power mode when running on battery?)

I'm going to keep thinking about this and let you know if I can think about something else you could try.

Mate, again thank you for your assistance here. I am now thinking that this has to be a problem with the device despite the green light being lit on the device when I plug into my laptop. I have just tried the interface on a completely different laptop and again I get the same error ' No Komplete Audio 6 found' despite installation of the drivers completing. The laptop doesn't even bleep when I plug it in and nothing is showing in the Windows Device Manager. The USB ports on both laptops that I have tried work as I have plugged in mice, memory sticks and external hard drives.

Got to be the device hasn't it? Odd?

Okay, now I am confused. I just tried it on my work laptop (thats laptop number 3!) and it worked first time. I have since unplugged it and plugged it in again and it still works. Just to confuse matters further I plugged it back into the original laptop that I need the device to work with and it is actually recognizing it to a degree but the light to signal that it is connected via usb is now flashing instead of constant??

This to me suggests that it might be a power issue. On my work laptop it seems to be working every time, even after a reboot to the laptop. However, on my original laptop the USB light is flashing which might mean that the signal isn't strong enough maybe?

On my work laptop it seems to be working every time, even after a reboot to the laptop. However, on my original laptop the USB light is flashing which might mean that the signal isn't strong enough maybe?

Yeah, might be that your Acer can't supply enough power through USB to power the NI device.

Did you try with the power plugged in to your new laptop as well? Doubt it will make much difference though as you have done quite a lot of testing, thanks for the updates. No trouble on giving help, I know how frustrating it is when you get new toys and hardware and they don't work.

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry: ask NI for a replacement as it clearly doesn't work as advertised and hopefully the new one will be better. If the replacement doesn't work, it's refund time.

Last edited:
So, I just went through the same issue and stumbled upon how to resolve it (at least for me). I spent several hours trying just about everything to no avail. I went and got a USB 2.0 hub. No change. I noticed that the NI software installed but I never saw the ASIO driver install after plugging the unit into the computer. When I looked under Device Manager windows had detected it and used a Microsoft driver. So, I tried uninstalling the unit from device manager and then plugging the device in hoping windows would detect it as new hardware. Windows flashed the name NI Komplete 6 for a second then installed the default Microsoft drivers... No change. Each time I went back into device driver, it said the unit did not have software drivers installed. So, I was about to give up and return the unit to where i purchased it since nothing seemed to work and the green USB light continually taunted me by flashing..

I had went to the web site and was just about to begin the return process, when I decided to try one more thing. Here's what worked.
1. I went into control panel and was about to uninstall all the Native Software but then changed my mind and decided to try running the install again.
2. I went to the NI CD and ran the install a second time in hopes that it would not try to re-install all the already installed software...
3. Instantly it installed the ASIO driver to windows and the USB light on the unit stopped flashing and now the device is installed properly.

So, simply running the install program off of the CD a second time did the trick and installed the ASIO driver.

Hope this helps.
U2_Fan

Yeah, might be that your Acer can't supply enough power through USB to power the NI device.

Did you try with the power plugged in to your new laptop as well? Doubt it will make much difference though as you have done quite a lot of testing, thanks for the updates. No trouble on giving help, I know how frustrating it is when you get new toys and hardware and they don't work.

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry: ask NI for a replacement as it clearly doesn't work as advertised and hopefully the new one will be better. If the replacement doesn't work, it's refund time.

Just a quick add-on to the above issues. Finally after 2 hours of constantly installing and uninstalling the drivers on each of my 8 USB2 hubs, the interface finally worked. I now have a solid green light and an orange 1/2 connection. Last install of the drivers, I just left the damn thing connected (it says to disconnect it, but sod them, that wasn't working). Then plugged it out and stuck it another USB2 slot, on I had tried an hour previously. Suddenly, it connected! No idea why, how. Now I have to see if it works with my DAW, my MIDI controller, my guitar, my speakers, my sanity... Fingers crossed.

Installed it on a second machine - laptop this time. Much quicker! Installed it the usual way, according to the manual. Nothing, except the green light. Uninstalled and reinstalled, with the KA6 plugged in. Plugged it out and plugged it back in. It installed the remaining drivers. All good and done in minutes. So, the lesson learned is - don't always trust the given instructions.

Hi everyone! I've got the same problem with my KA6. The green "USB" light is glowing and it's not found by the computer at all. I've been using it it for two years and it has no damage at all. I just worked with it than turned off my computer and in two hours I've got only this light and no other reaction at all. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom