Kolendo - Circles of Life :: liquid funk WIP :: need a 2nd pair of ears!

Kolendo

So I've been trying to get the EQ and mix sounding right on this tune I've just started (especially on drums), the problem is I'm working on headphones until my first set of monitors arrive in a week or two. The cans are really lush but don't by any means give an accurate response, can someone set me straight and criticise the mix? Much appreciated!

Make sure you download the file, soundcloud compression is the worst.

Last edited:
Tune has vibes! Look forward to hearing the full thing.

Sounds a bit generous in the high end and maybe a bit of phasing or resonance in the very high end percussion. Sounds like a hi hat with quite a lot of reverb on it, most audible around about 10 seconds and again in the little build up at 0:22 that is causing a weird metallic sound. I often get this when I over do some send parallel compression and need to pull it back a bit. Only got Soundbooth on my machine at work but I think the resonance is around 2229 Hz, thats where it gets really whistly.

Still sounds wicked though.

Tune has vibes! Look forward to hearing the full thing.

Sounds a bit generous in the high end and maybe a bit of phasing or resonance in the very high end percussion. Sounds like a hi hat with quite a lot of reverb on it, most audible around about 10 seconds and again in the little build up at 0:22 that is causing a weird metallic sound. I often get this when I over do some send parallel compression and need to pull it back a bit. Only got Soundbooth on my machine at work but I think the resonance is around 2229 Hz, thats where it gets really whistly.

Still sounds wicked though.
Thanks man :) I'm hoping to add some jazzy piano and more deep horns to fill the space in a bit
Yeah the headphones are quite relaxed above 10K and enhanced in the bass frequencies so I was expecting my sub and hats to be off.
I think arrangement might be causing some phase disturbances, thanks for the feedback! :P

Yes, the hihats have some extreme high end. Hurts my ears. Use a spectrum analyzer to catch those even when you don't have a good listening setup. It's baaad.

I can't really comment on much else right now, I can't listen to it a second time because of the treble. :D The horns were nice!

Yes, the hihats have some extreme high end. Hurts my ears. Use a spectrum analyzer to catch those even when you don't have a good listening setup. It's baaad.

I can't really comment on much else right now, I can't listen to it a second time because of the treble. :D The horns were nice!
haha fair enough, I'm uploading an altered version today so I'm hoping I've got the high end right.
It sucks not having monitors :(

haha fair enough, I'm uploading an altered version today so I'm hoping I've got the high end right.
It sucks not having monitors :(

Yes it does suck, but at least you can grab a spectrum analyzer and get good at catching any glaring issues like this. Pull a commercial track you like and run it through a spectrum analyzer, then compare the levels to the levels in your tune.

Yes it does suck, but at least you can grab a spectrum analyzer and get good at catching any glaring issues like this. Pull a commercial track you like and run it through a spectrum analyzer, then compare the levels to the levels in your tune.
Awkward... I do have one and use one! I swear >_<
I just posted this track immediately after my initial arrangement, I usually do analytical EQ afterward

Also if anyone is interested in checking out another tune that I'm working on I'd be so grateful for feedback!
https://dnbforum.com/threads/nina-s...liquid-funk-ragga-vibes-need-feedback.194118/

Last edited:
hello, sounds like a well crafted track. cool 303 bass, haven't heard this in a long time :)
I agree, the high frequencies need to be looked after .. don't know exactly how .. my ears also like bright sounding tracks with lots of high freq, but something is off in your tune in the high range. maybe try your car to listen to the track or a friends home, always sounds different and often gives input on which freq. need modification. other than that, cool refreshing track, enjoyed that! :cool:

I like the drums on this one and the mix so far sounds pretty solid. I like how that talking baseline tickles your ear in the mix.

i agree with the others about the high end on the drums. maybe mix the percussion a little lower than the kick and snare or sidechain the perc using the snare as a trigger!
other than that the bass sounds seriously cool, good job with that!

Back
Top Bottom