"Know your tracks!"

JSDNB

What's your strategy?

Can't wait start doubledropping!

...Do you count bars? Snares? Kicks? ...Help!

Thank you very much!

JACK

As a DJ you love what ure playing. So you know most of your tracks barely and can mix them live. When it come to the double drop you need practice.
I'm not a really experienced DJ but I know that it's better for everyone when you try some double drops at home. When you sure that it works (when it does at home..) you can double drop live as well.

I subconsciously count bars... after a bit of practice you don't need to concentrate on counting, you just know when each sequence begins and ends. Tunes are generally made up of 16, 32 and sometimes 8 bar sequences. You drop the first beat of your incoming tune at the beginning of one of these sequences. After enough practice you just know when the best opportunities are to drop things in. A lot of tunes follow a similar structure. If you're mixing with vinyl you can usually guess how long a sequence is by looking at it in the light.

For beatmatching, I find it easiest to concentrate on high hats, but generally just listen to the beat as a whole.

I subconsciously count bars... after a bit of practice you don't need to concentrate on counting, you just know when each sequence begins and ends. Tunes are generally made up of 16, 32 and sometimes 8 bar sequences. You drop the first beat of your incoming tune at the beginning of one of these sequences. After enough practice you just know when the best opportunities are to drop things in. A lot of tunes follow a similar structure. If you're mixing with vinyl you can usually guess how long a sequence is by looking at it in the light.

For beatmatching, I find it easiest to concentrate on high hats, but generally just listen to the beat as a whole.

this exactly for me. all the tunes i mix with i know inside out, and when i get new tunes i can listen to em one or two times and remember their structure fairly easy. when i look at my tunes i know straight away 48 bar intro, 32 bar break etc...

and yeah when beat matching i have all EQs turned down except for highs, and i have my headphone volume pretty low, more of a background noise in my ear.

I started djing using cdjs.

Ok, I'll try that! Thanks!

Ps: i just didn't understand "how much:D is a bar", ex just to understand: "kick-snare kicksnare"? :D

(I just started production, yesterday I found how to make a reese, lol!)

kick---snare--kick-snare.
(b1) (b2) (b3) (b4)

4 beats (b) = 1 bar

like Ollie said - "Tunes are generally made up of 16, 32 and sometimes 8 bar sequences"

you should try out virtual dj, my mate couldnt grasp it then he played around in that and eventually understood. most drum n bass tunes have a similar structure, (bar some tunes like planet dust) like generally ive found with the tunes i mix with they'll either have a 16, 32, 48, or 64 bar intros. so just listen to your tunes and remember them, i dont so much count the beats, i just know my tunes so well that i know to drop when to drop them in. i sort of can just hear the tune in 16 bar segments. practise lots.

examples:

Break - let it happen, 16 bar intro
Noisia - facade VIP, 32 bar intro
Sub Focus - scarecrow, 48 bar intro
Hive - blackout, 64

hope you understand

I keep listening to "Break - Let it happen" but I can't manage to count 16 bars.

Probably it depends on my knowledge (zero) of drum patterns... In this case, can you recommend me something?

I keep listening to "Break - Let it happen" but I can't manage to count 16 bars.

Probably it depends on my knowledge (zero) of drum patterns... In this case, can you recommend me something?

Last edited by a moderator:

play let it happen from the start and just count, 1, 2, 3, 4 with the beat.
it will drop the bassline will kick in, and there's your first phrase or 16 bars.

work out one mix that double drops... keep doing it over and over again! when you have that nailed move onto another one. then you will start grasping the concept of when to drop it. Its not always right on the break you have to drop it. sometimes doing it just before works too

Pretty much agree with this

THIS

+

to convert time to bars

heres a rough conversion

0.11s is roughly 8 bars ( if your track is about 174 bpm)
0.22 is roughly 16 bars
and so on so forth

double dropping is quite easy if you do it backwards and use vinyl! if you use cds this advice is irrelevant. pick up the needle and put it on the breakdown, when the breakdown drops let your breakdown go!, wait, if you have it in time you will double drop, in general breakdowns are only 16 bars, if you use cdjs double drops cant be done unless your a don, most double drop djs use vinyl, it cant really be done with cds! ask Andy C

double dropping is quite easy if you do it backwards and use vinyl! if you use cds this advice is irrelevant. pick up the needle and put it on the breakdown, when the breakdown drops let your breakdown go!, wait, if you have it in time you will double drop, in general breakdowns are only 16 bars, if you use cdjs double drops cant be done unless your a don, most double drop djs use vinyl, it cant really be done with cds! ask Andy C

I find double dropping easy on cdjs. its all about "knowing your tracks" lol

and also not all breakdowns are the same length

but never the less good advice

:carlton:

lol, just posting to say I got mad trying to beatmatch & double drop 2 tracks:

Friction + Camo & Crooked - Stand Up
>
Camo &Crooked - Get Funky

...And the result was sh!t, haha! :D

...say hello to my new non-beatmatching related music taste. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom