[(Kind of) Chillstep] Direct Line - Triste Espace

d-low

I know you got soul
VIP Junglist
music is dead cool. good stuff. but i think the drums sound a little dated and don't have much of the modern snap that we are accustomed to.

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
Yeah I agree with d-low. Chords are lovely, what progression is that?
The kick and snare have too much reverb maybe as well, but the biggest thing is that a really huge dubstep kick and snare would benefit this piece a lot.
I understand why you're holding back on the drums, it's not a heavy piece, but really heavy drums can work very well on a chilled piece like this, check out joe ford's 'frozen sound' and 'moving on' for examples of what I'm talking about.

ApeCat

Human Dubplate
VIP Junglist
I'd add live hats all the way to help with the live feel of the drums, which need work.

I guess the progression and stuff is alright, there could be some more incidental and one-off sounds and effects to help switch things up a bit and keep it funky.

DirectLine

Thank you all for the replies ! It's really helping me improving :)
I'll check joe ford's work (I already know and love what is doing ^^)
For that "new kind of drums" do you have any other exemples ? Is it really on the drum sounding or on the structure ?

very sweet melodies and a great piece, but the kick and snare do not sound well at all. On the other hand, the hatline like the one at 3:12 fits in very well with the track.