Kill Joy - Party Rock Anthem Remix

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Phat_Sam, May 22, 2011.

1. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Ok guys... need help with this.

As with most of the remixes that I do, the parts that I used from the original sound much fuller and richer than the parts on mine.

Notice that on the drop, the bass sounds wank and everything seems to be thin and not very good.

Dunno how to describe it...

Any tips?

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

need more midrange, try layering in a second copy of the bassline, but with the filter lower down, can add sum mid-range saturation, maybe a bit of chorus, to warm things up, other option could be to use EQ, depending on how much sound you have there already, it might just be the top end squashing everything else thru the compressor if there is one. apart from the highly offensive intro (sorry :p personal taste hehe) its a pretty kool sound, just lacking mid-range warmth and sub end

3. Phat_Sam

Mate... there isnt that much in the high end. Thats the thing... it's bit like atmosphere and stuff that I seem to be lacking... width in the stereo spread too. Other than phasing/chorus(which I've put on the bassline anyway) etc, are there any other things that I can do to spread the stereoness?

Also... the sub bass is pretty loud on my monitors... is it not on yours?

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

most of what i am hearing is the high end of the screaming bass-synth, cant really feel much sub coming thru, or bass midrange, although i can hear midrange stuff going on clearly

for stereo width, you could try splitting the bass off into Left and Right channels, and give them a slight seperation, a few ms diffrence, maybe 1ms and 15ms, dont do this on the bottom end tho or you'll get phase cancellation, a little reverb on the top end will space things out too.....also alternating between bass sounds can help stereo perception, from very mono to very stereo sounds, contrast helps allot

you could boost the midrange a bit, 400-800hz maybe, will probly get sum rez spikes that will need taking out, or probly more sensible to reduce the top end and bring the sub up some more, really cant feel much sub over that screaming top end (my speakers pump out more sub than they should), everything is nice and clear tho, its all there, and i suppose it culd be down to personal taste, it just doesnt feel balanced to me

'fullness' of sound comes the low-midrange area, esp around 400hz where things warm up, thats what i wuld concentrate on myself, maybe layering in sumthing to fill that space sum more

5. Phat_Sam

Cheers bro... will give it a shot!

Done most of that stuff with the bass already! Uuuurgh... FUCK MIXDOWN ISSUES!

6. Phat_Sam

7. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Hi,
    I think you need more sub and more low to mid range bass. I also think that some kind of sub bass drop could be cool when the lead drops. What I think the song really needs is some splashier symbols put kind of low in the mix. I feel this is a great way to add energy to the song. Hope this helps.

8. Phat_Sam

Cheers bro. Got as many splashy cymbals in there as poss though... I dunno... feel like I've tried most of the things you guys are suggesting... *cries*

Anything else?

9. ali^

ali^ Bigtingsagwarn

that's your problem there, as soon as you put chorus on a bassline it loses so much punch

10. Phat_Sam

But if I dont, it sounds flat and lifeless!

11. Fishy:)

Fishy:) Active Member

Pretty much what miszt said;P cool stuff tho

12. Phat_Sam

Changed it up a bit... bass is sounding MUCH heavier... also.. its longer and the drums are better...

It's just generally better... so BUMP!