InReach

One half of game-changing duo Instra:mental, label owner (CNVX & Convex Industries) & co-founder of Club Autonomic & the Autonomic Podcasts; Damon Kirkham aka Kid Drama is the epitome of versatile.

dam-1.jpg
With his musical repertoire spanning across nearly two decades, Damon consistently challenges the sometimes outdated boundaries of electronic music while maintaining the organic sound of the era that shaped the genre; the 90’s. Frequently shifting between genres, his recognisable cross-pollination of sounds throughout this productions and forward-thinking implementation has kept his output just as interesting as the man behind the productions.

His latest solo venture marked the debut release for Dispatch Recordings new imprint ‘Blueprints’. Setting itself apart from the other Dispatch labels with a ‘stronger emphasis on organic progression and building the vibe from scratch’, ‘Blueprints’ will be taking a deeper, more old skool inspired route with its output and who better to kick off that legacy than one of the most well-known advocates for the sound of the 90’s. Add to that a new album in the pipeline and a string of studio sessions with Metalheadz’ duo Ulterior Motive; 2018 is set to be another fruitful year for one of the pioneers of underground sonics. We caught up with Damon to see what he’s got in store for the year ahead…

Thanks for taking the time Damon, how’s your day been? What have you been up to?

It’s been a slow morning and I’ve pretty much been sitting about scratching my head trying to wake up!

Well, you’ve been a busy man of late so maybe a lazy morning was needed…I hear you’ve recently been in the studio with Ulterior Motive, what can we expect from that encounter?

We have a love of that old late 90’s sound; Optical, Matrix, Nico etc..

Read on: http://in-reach.co.uk/kid-drama-interview/

Last edited:
Nice interview. Collabs with Nico and Source Direct sound promising !

Im afraid i cant hear a Nico/No U-Turn influence in 'Impulse 1'
The bassline reminds me more of 'Krust - Going nowhere' or some of the Future Forces Inc. two step beats on Renegade Hardware (Constant, The Killer, Cylon).

Nice interview. Collabs with Nico and Source Direct sound promising !

Im afraid i cant hear a Nico/No U-Turn influence in 'Impulse 1'
The bassline reminds me more of 'Krust - Going nowhere' or some of the Future Forces Inc. two step beats on Renegade Hardware (Constant, The Killer, Cylon).
He's talking about the old collabs with Nico and SD under instra:mental

Yeah, can't say I can hear that in Impulse 1 either, and I don't hear any reference to the 90s in Run Deep, but that's just me...

Look forward to more KD and CNVX next year.

He's talking about the old collabs with Nico and SD under instra:mental

Oh, that 'Horse' track. Didnt sound like old No U-Turn Nico at all.
Maybe the later, more technoid stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom