kicks and snares

i have not long been producing.
i know my way around cubase pretty well now, i watched afew of them sub focus and chase and status clips on youtube.
the problem is i cannot get by kicks sounding punchy at all the snare aint to bad but could be better.
i didnt wanna layer them as the videos i watch advised only to use single kicks really. i wanna achive a good thumpin punch!!!
has anyone got a few tips on what i could do to make them better.
apreciated

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
I normally layer 3 kicks and layer about 4 snares, but this is just my way of working.
I look for a low one, a puncy one and a snappy weighty one. eq them a bit and keep building till im happy with it.

GiDriK

Lost in jungle
i didnt wanna layer them as the videos i watch advised only to use single kicks really.
Fail about it is that its not a MUST to do thing, everyone does their think how they want, i personally use 1 to 3 kicks, its all about the quality of the samples, about ur skill in EQ and Compression.

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
Use a maximum of 3 only!!!!

mess about with the pitches and EQ them separately too.

I could say much more but I could also say. SEARCH THE FORUM

safety

double safety
VIP Junglist
if you don't want to layer, then your shit out of luck, because layers are big this season. try a black v neck jumper over a black t shirt for that 'i don't give a fuck look'

Using more than one kick will phase cancel the other if you don't know what you're doing. One kick with some careful eqing is all that's required and find the right sample.

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
Using more than one kick will phase cancel the other if you don't know what you're doing. One kick with some careful eqing is all that's required and find the right sample.
this is true.. but ur kicks need to be almost identical in waveform for them to do this

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
There's also been a lot of talk of boosting 200Hz by a decibel or two to bring out that resonant thud of a snare. Dont overdo it tho.

I've found that having your snare at the same frequency range than the kick's harmonics can create a good balance between the two. ie., kick peaking at 90Hz -> snare boost to 180Hz.

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
hot tip #3: Layer a very short decay sine or square (or any other melodic oscillator for that matter) to make your drum hits go in tune with other material. If you dont have any melodic elements, try C for kick and G for snare, also known as the Perfect Fifth interval.

the vengeance snares are all eq'd to perfection, some big snares in the pack.

but as for kicks, took me ages to find decent kicks, again the vengeance sample cd's prevail.....

DanDnB

Bass and Drums
hot tip #3: Layer a very short decay sine or square (or any other melodic oscillator for that matter) to make your drum hits go in tune with other material. If you dont have any melodic elements, try C for kick and G for snare, also known as the Perfect Fifth interval.
Kama wins.

groelle

VIP Junglist
the vengeance snares are all eq'd to perfection, some big snares in the pack.

but as for kicks, took me ages to find decent kicks, again the vengeance sample cd's prevail.....
everyone talks about that packs, and ive never came across them. where could i find them?! :confused:

and thanks kama, some good tips1! :)