kick eq compression

kieran t

sorry if this sounds like a beginners question!.. but i suppose i am, lol
when u layer a kick do you eq and compress each individual ..hi/mid/low (or what ever you've layered) and then eq and compress again as a whole?
:confused:

either way. i tend to get kick (or snare) layers together and eq the individual sounds. then route the layers to an aux bus and compress there. i have also had some successes recently doing this but sending parts of each sound via a send to the aux bus (parallel compression)

A lot of samples from sample packs already have compression applied so no real need to compress them individually. If you're layering then compress at the bus instead.

i tend to route all my drums to one group then compress them all together

Compressing low-mid-hi and then compressing the buss is a whole lot of squeezing. Maybe too much, you'll probably lose most of the punch and end up with something that is powerful by itself but very hard to mix in with anything else. I would just steer clear of any compression if you don't know what you are doing, perhaps just slightly compress the whole group of drums to glue them together.

EQing is also a bit overused but i guess that comes with trying to reach new levels in technical prowess. It all depends on the source sound. If it's already powerful and not very dynamic (just a long 'flat' sound) it definately doesnt need any compression, maybe some gating would be better. Then again, if you have a very analog sounding clicky hit, you could beef the tail of the sound with a compressor.

It's always a matter of dealing with what you have, there are no set rules. That's why it's important to know how different processors work and how they alter the dynamics or sound, not just slap one after another and hope it sounds good.

i don't tend to compress my kicks that much, and also i find laying 2 kicks max gets the best results , some times just one kick with some good EQ is good enough.

sorry if this sounds like a beginners question!.. but i suppose i am, lol
when u layer a kick do you eq and compress each individual ..hi/mid/low (or what ever you've layered) and then eq and compress again as a whole?
:confused:

you could split your kick up like that, but personally, i wouldnt bother, imo its more useful to play with the Attack and Decay to blend kicks, I used to compress kicks individually, but now for dnb, I always compress the precussion all together, kick, snare and hats. if you feel like you need allot of EQ on a kick, then it might be easier just to try a diffrent sample

It's always a matter of dealing with what you have, there are no set rules. That's why it's important to know how different processors work and how they alter the dynamics or sound, not just slap one after another and hope it sounds good.

For sure, the process you use will completely depend on what you are starting with.

Your question is a little bit like asking 'How do you guys fix your car?'

So Subprime.......exactly how do you fix your car?

1) smack the driveshaft with an antique walnut handled, ivory inlaid hammer (that's the one tool you can't do without, cost heaps but it has a real solid warm feel to it)
2) shove two extra spark plugs in, just cut some notches so they fit and apply a glue with the exact ratio of 1.2 parts hardener to 5.67 adhesive to hold it all together.
3) BUS

that's it really, works for every situation all the time

You're a genius Mr Prime!

Thats exactly where I was going wrong. My mistake was the fact that I was using the wrong hammer. Instead of using an antique walnut handled ivory inlaid one, I was using the opposite, in a new ivory handled, walnut inlaid one! D'oh!

Ahh.....now it's becoming clear, I was also using the wrong ratio glue. I was using one with 6 parts hardener, 2.32 parts adhesive and 3.1g man fat!

Back
Top Bottom