Kick Drum overpowering Clap. Can't remember what to do!?

Discussion in 'Production' started by parsons19, Dec 8, 2011.

1. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Hey all,

Got a new idea for a tune down. Only working with three things right now.

Bass. Sidechained.
    A Kick Drum. Sent into the Sidechain.
    A Clap.

I haven't played with EQ yet cause this thing is about as basic as it gets right now but what is I would need to do to stop all the power of the kick destroying the clap. Sidechain that too? :lol:

I swear I used to know but I wanted to ask here cause I know you lovely peoples will know what I am on about :D

Jordan

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Oh, I forgot to mention the crucial factor really! I have a Kick on every beat and a clap on everybeat. So they are playing together :p

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Low cut the clap, and find the dominant frequency of the clap. Then notch cut that frequency from the kick so that the frequencies won't collide. Or you can experiment with some extremely subtle sidechaining.

3. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Wicked dude, just got some EQing to do then!

Cheers :)

4. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

play with the attack of the clap and the release of the kick aswell as pitching them accordingly to each other, should help a ton even without eqing!

5. DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil New Member

Hi, I'm a newbie, but I've heard about that method in a video (where the producers were calling it 'Ghost Notes', but I couldn't find a tutorial, because Ghost Notes means (also?) something different). Could you or someone explain me how you actually do that?

Thanks cheers

6. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Ghost notes are a completely different subject to this. Here we are discussing the use of EQ and sidechaining to help pronounce the sounds of his kick and clap. Ghost notes are simply quieter hits of a snare or kick that tends to hit on the off beat to give a track more shuffle.

Back on topic, I completely agree with lostinsound, put a spectral analyzer on your clap, find where it peaks, give a slight boost in that area, and low cut quite heavily. Then notch cut that peak frequency out of your kick.

7. DigitalDevil

DigitalDevil New Member

Oh thank you I see. Found also tons of tutorials for "side chaining" now. :D