Kick and Low Mid Bass Interference

DJ SAMAD

Ive been trying to mixdown a track of mine for release and im really struggling to stop the low mid bass interfering with the kick. Ive gone to town with the side chain but the levels are still jumping about! Its really noticeable when heard. Any suggestions how i could sort this it? I know it can be done as ive definitely heard it in a few nu elementz tracks.

Heres a preview of my tune

https://soundcloud.com/samad-djsmd/smd-pursuit-wip

Heres a preview of a nu elementz track that shares the same frequencys

https://soundcloud.com/darkvibezaudio/nu-elementz-dementia

make sure your kick is high passed around 30hz, cut a notch out of your kick wherever your sub is peaking. Vice versa--where your kick is peaking, notch that out of your sub

you could prolly get away with a high cut way over 30hz...may 80-90. also theres a part in your bass where IMO it goes just too low. im sure with compression you could fix your bassline. maybe try having each note of the bass on a separate track?

you could prolly get away with a high cut way over 30hz...may 80-90. also theres a part in your bass where IMO it goes just too low. im sure with compression you could fix your bassline. maybe try having each note of the bass on a separate track?

^ This. Personally, I cut to a minimum of 70Hz. You'll still get that "punch" of the kick while freeing up the subbass in the low end of mix. If the kick lacks a bit of thud, a smooth bell bump around the fundamental frequency (around 100Hz works nicely) will add a bit of punch.

Frequency split the bass sound and create a narrow band specifically around the fundamental of the kick, then apply sidechaining to that band from the kick with a relatively short envelope, just so the bass will get out of the way for the transient of the kick to come through clean.

Don't be afraid to frequency split the kick too. And a little eq bump on the upper frequencies can really bring out a kick.

Going to town on side-chaining is going to make your levels jump by definition, after it ducks it has to rise again, especially as you've got that first bass note hitting on the 1.
Another compressor after the side chained one could even out the dynamics but if the kick and bass are hitting the same frequencies at the same time it's never going to be good.

Also what binary said.

i think (and other people have said) that my kicks sit perfectly with my bass's. i never use sidechaining on my drums and bass, i litrally just boost the main curve of the kick (normally at 100K like lost said) with quite a high Q, i then eq that out of the sub with a notch. Also highpassing the kick at around 90 gets rid of the unnecesary low end in the kick. A little boost in the sub between 30-80 can also help imo. I dont feel the need to side chain, but tahts just my approach

Back
Top Bottom