Keys and charaters

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Oct 3, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

very interesting... as i progress down my musical journey more and more, the more i am fascinated by the theory and emotion surrounding - getting slightly obsessive considering i can only play drums (badly)

lostnthesound likes this.
  2. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Yea it's pretty crazy stuff once you really get to know how scales "feel". Also it's sort of a way some people develop perfect pitch, by practicing listening to a tone and giving it the first color that comes to mind, and giving your self a sort of manually induced synesthesia.

3. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

It's interesting, but I don't think 99.9% of people would pick up on it by itself.
    If you asked 100 people to describe the hallelujah chorus (D major), they's say it sounds joyful.
    If you then transposed it into F# major and asked them again an hour later, they'd still say that it sounds joyful.

What really matters is the CHANGE in key, so if you start in C, then start playing in Db, it sounds a bit creepy.
    The same thing happens if you start playing in B, then change to C halfway through- it's not the key itself, it's the fact that it's one semitone up from the previous key.

Anyway, if you love your scales and stuff so much, go and learn the modes (ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixalydian, aeolian and locrian)

D-Jhepz likes this.