Keyboard

i wanted to ask your own experience.
Does "real" keyboard gives you more flowing, creative and positive feeling in music production?
Or it doesent matter if i use virtual one?

I started to work again and i thought about to build up my work station. (buying that keyboard for start)
I make sometimes melodys with toy keyboard and write them in programm, but i think it isnt the same :D
Anyways i would like to know about it.

[sorry for my bad english]

one day after a year of producing i went out and brought a 41 key midi keyboard, a year later i sold that keyboard..

personally for me, i dont do any live recording to lay down midi, and i dont write melodies by jammin on a piano, especially for electronic music.

the few keys in the middle of my laptop keyboard are all good, for pressing down once in a while to hear the sound of a synth, thats all i use em for

Keyboards really help when you are flat out of ideas or you feel that the track is lacking in something i.e a synth melody or whatever.

I tend to loop 8 bars of my tune then play over it untill i find something that works.
I dont really play chords or whatever as I'm just about to start learning how to play properly.
I just play little simple things over the top it dosen't have to be at Bach standard.

I like to use the keyboard sometimes for melodies, more if I want an un-quantised groove. And if you get one make sure it has some knobs, then you can record some automations in real time which offers a different creative option. (I use the emu x-board 49)

yeah to me, a keyboard takes my time in half when trying to get the fattest note or the freq cutoff at which something sounds best.
I have a Oxygen8 V2 from M-Audio, and I love it, even thought I don't write too many melodies as I produce mostly technoid and a bit of darkstep, but still there's no day I don't use it.

I bought mine a few months ago. It helps in loads of ways wether I use it for midi sequencing or not. Exactly like Sam said, creating synths and (mainly) pads is made about %500 easier just because you can loop the music and create stuff on the fly.

Plus it makes your "home studio" look the bollocks ;):teeth:

nothing like having keys to press, pots to tweek and faders to fiddle with, when it comes to creativity imo, clicking numbers on a screen with a mouse just doesnt come close :D

when you say 'real' keyboard, do you mean a piano style velocity response and weight, or just any keyboard? It really depends what you want to do with it, as a piano player, I apprciate the touch of my electric piano far more than my (awful) midi keyboard, but unless you are looking for that specific response and feel, it probly doesnt matter, as electronic sounds usualy rely on a diffrent set of rules to create their distinct sound

i have an m-audio usb mixer i brought off my friend for burger king, its swell with all its knobs, through ableton, yet i still barely use it.. mouse suites me fine i guess

yeah to me, a keyboard takes my time in half when trying to get the fattest note or the freq cutoff at which something sounds best.
I have a Oxygen8 V2 from M-Audio, and I love it, even thought I don't write too many melodies as I produce mostly technoid and a bit of darkstep, but still there's no day I don't use it.

i have the same one and found its perfect for the job and is a decent 25 key so doesnt take up too much room

i agree with everyone else it helps save a lot of time and is great for finding a decent melody and parameter automation

I'm playing in everything with my keyboard.

Do the drums on my Axiom 49 drumpads, so the velocities aren't all the same. This gives it a little more 'flow'.
The basses and synths on my Axiom keys, do the automation with the Axiom faders and rotary knobs.

Then everything will be processed further to reach the desired sound.

Back
Top Bottom