Keyboard suggestions

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So, believe it or not, but I've been producing now for about 3 years, and still have not got round to purchasing a midi keyboard lol! I know I know, I'm a tight cunt! But just never really bothered with it, I've done ok so far, and what I havnt had, I dont miss I suppose....

Anyway, I'm really wanting to get one now, as I've learnt quite a bit of scales and chords etc and want to be more on the go with my workflow. Trouble is, I'm skint right now, So I'm looking for something cheap, yet reliable. Small (25keys?) but still have maybe a pitch and modulation wheel, maybe a few dials and shit you can midi link to, you get the drift!

So, My mates got an Oxygen 8, which is pretty cool, but I've no idea on these things because I've never really looked into them, so I need you guys opinions on this subject, what should I get? Remember, cheap, reliable and good value are the terms I am looking for, dont bother linking me to a Korg MonoPoly or anything, I is skint lol!

I use the Axiom 49 which is a fabulous MIDI controller, lot´s of people use the Axiom series from M-Audio. I wouldn't bother buying a 25 key, specially when you also wanna start playing melodies and chords, take at least a 49 key so you have more octaves. Thomann has it for 236,- GBP so that should be quite affordable mate!

I have the Novation SL25 which is not cheap but it has sooo many features that can really speed up your production. It also has Automap which means that when you load a VSt, the keyboard recognises this and then automatically maps the parameters to the keyboard! Saves hours and hours of mapping time!

40795-novation-sl25-mk-ii-large.jpg

Imo with anything like this is you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, you buy twice and all that.. Personally in your position id spend a little extra as you are well inproduction and its far from a passing fad.

i love my emu xboard but the m-audio ones got drum pads thats fun i suppose

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

edit: oooooooooooo automap sounds awesome

Hey,

I'm currently using a KN6000. Its no longer made but has served me well.
tilt.jpg

If I had to replace it tomorrow, I would go for a M-Audio ProKeys Sono 88. This is probably my pianist side coming through though. There is something to be said for playing keys which have some weight to them.
http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/ProKeysSono88.html

I get that these both are not the smallest and 88 keys is much more than the 25 you stated. I personally find it much more pleasing to have a controller which you can arpeggio on live. Just my 2cents.

Cheers
Mike James - Operator

the Novation is an awsome little keyboard

you *definitly* want one with pots and faders, coz tweeking synths live is much more fun, and creative than point and click automation (although it has its place of course)

I've played with allot of Novation SL25's and they really are the bollox, hoping to get one to combine with my APC soon

IMHO go for the x board if you have a simple way to set up midi controllers ( in cubase quick control does it for me)

They go for cheap on ebay

i owned an axiom and i didn't like the way it worked with cubase. the knobs were weird and kind of out of sync, i didnt like the m audio "automap" software whatever its called to me it seemed to work poorly with cubase. The avid tech support was really hopeless and i had to figure out my problems myself in the end.

Ive got a novation and i dont like automap. it was fairly complicated to set up and doesnt seem to work with any of my NI plg ins, probably a setting somewhere.

Im going back to the cheaper, simpler x board i think the knobs are wicked on it and it works PERFECTLY with quick cotnrols which are very easy and fast to setup.

Back
Top Bottom