Keeping it fresh

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
You can fall into a rut if you keep on doing things the same way, so from time to time I'll play a techno, house, techhouse, garage or electroclash set at home, just to see if there is anything I can learn. And to have a laugh at djs at crap clubs that can't mix 4x4 house.

Its always a pleasure to go back to dnb and breaks afterwards though.

BTW Last time somebody tried to play trance on my cd player, it shut down and refused to work. Really!

yeah, I always enjoy mixing some breaks when I can because its funky, and so easy to beatmix once you mix dNb. And it does sometimes give you a clue on a new technique or something you've missed.
I like mixing techno as well, I think its quite diff to breaks / dNb to mix, enough to have to change your approach slightly.
I've read some producer saying that after they went and made some 138bpm tunes their dNb production improved, cause they could appreciate the pace of the breakbeat more... maybe related.

Totally agree w/you guys, I definately like to spin outside of drum & bass even though that's my main focus. I'm pretty knowledgable about funky/deep house and like talking to house and breaks dj's all the time to analyze the differences in the way they mix compared to the way dnb dj's do it.

I have these little "phases" now too where I'll practice with and only buy records out of one genre: this month I've been buying just dnb, in december it was house, in november, hip hop, etc. I guess that's a good way of keeping myself versatile.

i know what you mean,
ive been djing pretty much the same way for at least 10 years;
my scratching has improved of late cos i got back into it again.
its always good to watch other djs for ideas althought to be truly FRESH you just have to experiment.

BTW Last time somebody tried to play trance on my cd player, it shut down and refused to work. Really![/QUOTE]

just goes to show that trance is not loved any more. Even the machines are against it!

yeah, still love spinnin' some of that old prog trance/house once in a while. (y)

Back
Top Bottom