KEALHAUL-off switch. feedback wanted

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Kealhaul, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Kealhaul

Kealhaul Member

2. kdk

kdk Member

I liked the beat. The whole thing was a bit faint, maybe even a bit muddy. I liked the (actual?) drop at about 1:25 or so... there's lots of room in the mids and highs for more voices, effects, etc. By 2:10 the bass is really nice; a high-range counterpoint voice would work well here... I wasn't feeling the sample(s) in the middle as much.

Kealhaul likes this.
  3. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

I'd have to agree with keelhaul about the muddyness. It's like there's not enough high end, and there's not enough clarity to some of the samples you're using. The beats you're using and the bass sound you've got are brilliant though and you do have a great track there.

Kealhaul likes this.
  4. Kealhaul

Kealhaul Member

@kdk ,
    @whiterob81

thanks for your comments, really appriciate the feedback.
    mixing down and mastering are where i struggle. I have tried to mix it down using a car stereo, as well as in my studio space.
    I try to keep the master volume at 0-00, and then keep the track volumes pretty low, boosting signal with the eq. i try to avoid limiters and compressers fullstop.

the vocal samples in the middle are really cheesy. space filling until i find something right.

some of the samples 000-016 and then later 1;00 - 1;24 are originally muffed from the original sample. kinda a bit j dilla esq (my excuse) ;)

Any ideas as to how i could improve the volume"faint" issuse?

respect

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. whiterob81

whiterob81 Member

Kealhaul likes this.
  6. Kealhaul

Kealhaul Member

nice one!!!

good artical, loads to pick up, simple to follow and understand.

always been warned away from compression, so never really looked into or understood the process. That was very informative

gonna go put some off this into practice.

big respect mate

7. Deekay[AUS]

Deekay[AUS] Buffy's Bedtime Slayer

Nice work, loving the vibe of the track. Read up about compression and sidechaining. That sub is sounding pretty decent but maybe bring it down just a little bit. Get yourself a spectrum analyzer and run it on your Master that way you can also see what frequencies are dominating the mix.

Eq'ing is only good if only using it on the source.. ie a kick drum or a synth to change the tone or timbre of it or take out the harshness if need be. But not down the end of the signal chain to try and boost your loudness. Cause you're oversaturating the sound.

anyways man, keep it up/

Kealhaul likes this.
  8. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Neat track mate :), just toss something like izotope ozone on the master and work with the settings a little, should fix the volume issue.

Kealhaul likes this.
  9. Kealhaul

Kealhaul Member

thankyou all for the positives....back into the studio to play around with the advice i have been kindly given..

- - - Updated - - -

thankyou all for the positives....back into the studio to play around with the advice i have been kindly given..

respect