Jwood's Best of 2011

Jwood27

VICTIM
VIP Junglist
As the title suggests..
Few little slips and apologies for the poor quality on the waiting line remix, serato didn't seem to like through mode for some reason..

Dub Phizix ft. Strategy - The Editor
>> Anile - Last March
Amoss - Footloose
Enei - Stonehead
Mortem - Monolever
Rido - Exoplanet
Total Science - No Justice (Jubei Remix)
Vicious Circle & Jubei - Cloak & Dagger
Origin Unknown - Lunar Bass (Commix Remix)
Break - Framework
Vicious Circle, Fierce, Jubei - Fiend
Amoss - Minus
Dom & Roland - Terminate
Misanthrop - Amboss
>>Inside Info - Honey Bee
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble
Hazard - Proteus
Krakota - Be Myself
T.E.E.D - Garden (Calibre Remix)
Northern Lights - All Night Long
Nymfo - Double Dutch
Serum - Rat Trap VIP
Emalkay - The World (Teebee Remix)
Hazard - Food Fight
Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line (S.P.Y. Remix)

checking man, in the process of doing my checklist for best of 2011 aswell and iv also mixed editor with footloose but the other way round :teeth:

Oh you know I'm already on it.

cheers fella, hope you enjoy it (y)

checking man, in the process of doing my checklist for best of 2011 aswell and iv also mixed editor with footloose but the other way round :teeth:

ahh great minds and all that ;) it's so hard to get the list of tunes narrowed down, i'm still not entirely satisfied but what can you do - cheers for checking man, i'll be sure to return the compliment

looking forward to hear this -

Hazard - Food Fight
Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line (S.P.Y. Remix)

apologies in advance because i didn't really mix it, thru mode wasnt having a good time and i could barely hear ITWL in my headphones, so i just switched it on the drop :/
hope you can enjoy it none the less (y)

Nice mix man. Strangely enough a lot of them are my favourite tunes from the year aswell.

But yeah, that last mix isn't great, really needed to turn the mids on food fight down in my opinion. There were a few other times when there seemed to be a bit much mid going on for my liking but I can't remember which mixes now haha, will be listening again though for sure so will try and remember to post them up.

Good effort lad

Oi oi! Serato crew! You onto the blue stuff now mate?

Gonna give this a spin tomorrow Jimbo...:banana:

Big ups dave (y) and yes, still getting the hang of it a little but i'm almost there. its good fun

Nice mix man. Strangely enough a lot of them are my favourite tunes from the year aswell.

But yeah, that last mix isn't great, really needed to turn the mids on food fight down in my opinion. There were a few other times when there seemed to be a bit much mid going on for my liking but I can't remember which mixes now haha, will be listening again though for sure so will try and remember to post them up.

Good effort lad

good tastes and all that.
yeah i was annoyed about it but i really couldn't hear much through the headphones so i just cut my losses..
and yeh, a few mixes i didn't think through enough, either brought them in too sharply or had too much happened (no justice remix and monolever overpowered each other a bit).
cheers for checking and the feedback - always helps (y)

easy J! saw this on facebook...TL as always on point.

>>last march - great way to open. was rock solid and doubled perfectly
footloose - one of my favourites from the year. good tight mix...
stonehead - thought footloose was a bit lost in the background, but nonetheless a decent mix.
monolever - BIG! EQ'd much better than the last mix...maybe would have lowered the treble on stonehead slightly but gully still.
exoplanet - woaaah! came from nowhere! massive!! once again tight as...8am in the morning and the screwfaces are out. hahahaa
no justice (jubei remix) - like this one too, little bit out in places but liked the double...had both tunes almost talking to each other. decent.
cloak & dagger - definitely a favourite from 2011. like the blend on this one. Impressing so far mate.
lunar bass (commix VIP) - would have maybe eq'd out cloak and dagger slightly differently...sounds like there is too much drums going on in amongst the drop. Its a mix I used to bang out on the regs, slightly less treble and you've got it :D
framework - BOH!
fiend - came in rather quickly...was ok at the drop! didnt mind this blend one bit. Obvious this is a banger. big ups.
minus - for me Amoss destroyed 2011. liked the blend big mix!!
terminate - WOAH. my face is worried Im going back to new year at this rate. gully james. gully. fuck headphones I need this louder...
amboss
>>honeybee - not entirely sure about this one. Was a bit too much going on for me. Both massive tunes just didnt like the mix. Have to say up to here has been a mad one so nothing to be discouraged by! couldnt work out what needed to be done in terms of EQing, certainly less treble on honeybee...
hubble - caught me by surprise how quick this was. relatively tight, little bit out after the first 16 bars of the drop. but your back on track now!
proteus - not bad.
be myself - big tune from 2011. maybe needed to be a little louder on the gains of this tune when it dropped, felt like I lost a little bit of energy in the mix...bit loose in places but liked the way you blended these together, difficult to mix different subgenres well.
garden (calibre remix) - I really want this mix to sound decent. I love this tune. can hear it coming in! like the way the breakdown of be myself works with this. was ok at the drop, slightly less treble on be myself would have made it sat better through the bit where its drums cut, but enjoyed the blend.
all night long - not sure about this one mate.
double dutch - big tune...once again not sure on the blend...tight enough
rat trap VIP - nice double! not something I would mix...but really enjoyed this double...its what I love about this section of the forum, have a listen and you never know what you could like. room shaking business. love it.
the world (teebee remix) - already this mix feels uplifting. nice cut back, and then to the bass of rat trap VIP. quality stuff.
food fight - double! ok...left the vocals in alright, eq'd the world generally quite well to make it sit. tight also...not my favourite tune but still a good mix pal.

a brief summary.
first 16 tunes & mixes were IMO badman. it felt like it had a good flow and a great selection.
towards the end wasn't your best...I certainly felt like I had enough bangers from 2011 early on this mix to make up for this pal!

Serato looks like its doing you well! keep it up mate! would'nt worry about the last tune...it happens! :D
making one of these mixes is quite difficult, I always end up having other tunes from pre 2011 popping up...will have to work on it :D

Big up pal! sure the next installment won't be long away!

t/l is looking wicked man.
a nice representation of the last year imo. will rock this soon.

easy J! saw this on facebook...TL as always on point.

>>last march - great way to open. was rock solid and doubled perfectly
footloose - one of my favourites from the year. good tight mix...
stonehead - thought footloose was a bit lost in the background, but nonetheless a decent mix.
monolever - BIG! EQ'd much better than the last mix...maybe would have lowered the treble on stonehead slightly but gully still.
exoplanet - woaaah! came from nowhere! massive!! once again tight as...8am in the morning and the screwfaces are out. hahahaa
no justice (jubei remix) - like this one too, little bit out in places but liked the double...had both tunes almost talking to each other. decent.
cloak & dagger - definitely a favourite from 2011. like the blend on this one. Impressing so far mate.
lunar bass (commix VIP) - would have maybe eq'd out cloak and dagger slightly differently...sounds like there is too much drums going on in amongst the drop. Its a mix I used to bang out on the regs, slightly less treble and you've got it :D
framework - BOH!
fiend - came in rather quickly...was ok at the drop! didnt mind this blend one bit. Obvious this is a banger. big ups.
minus - for me Amoss destroyed 2011. liked the blend big mix!!
terminate - WOAH. my face is worried Im going back to new year at this rate. gully james. gully. fuck headphones I need this louder...
amboss
>>honeybee - not entirely sure about this one. Was a bit too much going on for me. Both massive tunes just didnt like the mix. Have to say up to here has been a mad one so nothing to be discouraged by! couldnt work out what needed to be done in terms of EQing, certainly less treble on honeybee...
hubble - caught me by surprise how quick this was. relatively tight, little bit out after the first 16 bars of the drop. but your back on track now!
proteus - not bad.
be myself - big tune from 2011. maybe needed to be a little louder on the gains of this tune when it dropped, felt like I lost a little bit of energy in the mix...bit loose in places but liked the way you blended these together, difficult to mix different subgenres well.
garden (calibre remix) - I really want this mix to sound decent. I love this tune. can hear it coming in! like the way the breakdown of be myself works with this. was ok at the drop, slightly less treble on be myself would have made it sat better through the bit where its drums cut, but enjoyed the blend.
all night long - not sure about this one mate.
double dutch - big tune...once again not sure on the blend...tight enough
rat trap VIP - nice double! not something I would mix...but really enjoyed this double...its what I love about this section of the forum, have a listen and you never know what you could like. room shaking business. love it.
the world (teebee remix) - already this mix feels uplifting. nice cut back, and then to the bass of rat trap VIP. quality stuff.
food fight - double! ok...left the vocals in alright, eq'd the world generally quite well to make it sit. tight also...not my favourite tune but still a good mix pal.

a brief summary.
first 16 tunes & mixes were IMO badman. it felt like it had a good flow and a great selection.
towards the end wasn't your best...I certainly felt like I had enough bangers from 2011 early on this mix to make up for this pal!

Serato looks like its doing you well! keep it up mate! would'nt worry about the last tune...it happens! :D
making one of these mixes is quite difficult, I always end up having other tunes from pre 2011 popping up...will have to work on it :D

Big up pal! sure the next installment won't be long away!

massive respect for the in depth feedbck stu its massively appreciated.
I think the struggle i had is i wanted to fit so many different tunes in, and got a little bit lost by the wayside when i got to amboss and onwards, hadn't really planned that section as much as i had the first, and it definitely showed as you pointed out.

I'm glad you felt the first 16 and i'll run a few mixes again and play with the eqs where you pointed out they could be tightened. Big up yourself once again, don't forget to send your next one my way (y)

t/l is looking wicked man.
a nice representation of the last year imo. will rock this soon.

gwarn ted, hope you enjoy it mang

very nice as always james! indeed the first 10 or 15 tracks was pure techy/minimal goodness, just rolled like a dream. i was bouncing like a madman when lunar bass came in, then framework. very large. loved garden > all night long, and through to rat trap as well, slept on all night long. bit of a tune! thought some of the dd's didnt work too well for instance proteus > be myself, and ambos > honeybee, the first particularly cos of a clash of styles. of course it could be expected in a best of mix when you're putting all sorts of stuff anyway so its all good! and its it a sick tracklist as well, pretty good representation of the best this year. your mixes are getting technically better and better i reckon, every one becomes a new favourite. roll on the next pleeease. if you're stuck for ideas for your next, i reallyyyy liked your liquid revision mix.... hint hint :)

listened to this lastnight, was rolling man them first three tunes were bangers pretty tight throughout aswell.
really like the mix with Framework >> Fiend and after that was just me screwing me face till Proteus came on and then it turned to smile, really enjoyed that
good to hear All night Long and Double Dutch >> Ratrap VIP was bouncing for that bit and then ended nicely with that SPY tune

very nice as always james! indeed the first 10 or 15 tracks was pure techy/minimal goodness, just rolled like a dream. i was bouncing like a madman when lunar bass came in, then framework. very large. loved garden > all night long, and through to rat trap as well, slept on all night long. bit of a tune! thought some of the dd's didnt work too well for instance proteus > be myself, and ambos > honeybee, the first particularly cos of a clash of styles. of course it could be expected in a best of mix when you're putting all sorts of stuff anyway so its all good! and its it a sick tracklist as well, pretty good representation of the best this year. your mixes are getting technically better and better i reckon, every one becomes a new favourite. roll on the next pleeease. if you're stuck for ideas for your next, i reallyyyy liked your liquid revision mix.... hint hint :)

cheers man :) i was definitely more comfy with the first lot of tunes i played, definitely more my thing tbh, i just mix that sorta stuff a lot more than the others i guess and it shows.
glad you liked other parts though, all night long is such a ridiculous tune, really slept on (although the middle bit makes it a bastard to mix out of..
well i need to record that dust mix but i'll see if i can do something in that ilk at some point soon ;)

listened to this lastnight, was rolling man them first three tunes were bangers pretty tight throughout aswell.
really like the mix with Framework >> Fiend and after that was just me screwing me face till Proteus came on and then it turned to smile, really enjoyed that
good to hear All night Long and Double Dutch >> Ratrap VIP was bouncing for that bit and then ended nicely with that SPY tune

ahh big ups danny. interesting to see that you dug the bits that others havn't as much, shows how people appreciate the different styles i guess.
yeah i was really pleased with how double dutch and rat trap sounded, that vip is such a good little tune can be mixed with nearly anything!
nice one for checking once again mate (y)

bump because west brom actually beat a championship team in the third round and the mighty silkmen drew with bolton.

Dub Phizix ft. Strategy - The Editor - makes a great intro this one.
>> Anile - Last March - like how the drums sounded. thought this one could be slighlty lower in mix. lil switch when editors drums cut out. bass sounds good together. liked the bass switch. great opener.

Amoss - Footloose - done a best of 2011 and not included this tune? i hate u!
was nice when they dropped in, maybe the b lines should be the other way round. the one other thing i would have done would have been to switch it at the beginning of that percussion roll thing.

Enei - Stonehead - already imagine this would sound good. really nice the way u brought it in. dropped nice together.. lil less mid on stonehead just to smooth it out a lil.

Mortem - Monolever - noice. worked well these 2. shame about the cut off.. u could have volume faded it out on the "trust me" and let it overlap slightly.

Rido - Exoplanet - defo should be in more best of 2011 mixes.. mix worked really well. wickard blend.

Total Science - No Justice (Jubei Remix) - another smasher mate. twisted business.

Vicious Circle & Jubei - Cloak & Dagger - selction agarwn ruff! drums mixed so well. loved how the bass kicked in and no justice started going all twisty. nice transition too.

Origin Unknown - Lunar Bass (Commix Remix) - safe

Break - Framework - loving this tune. try it with amboss (but dont tell nobody) too much mid and trebble on the intro. lunar sat wicked behind the drop. complimented framework prefectly.

Vicious Circle, Fierce, Jubei - Fiend - nice man.

Amoss - Minus - swish! maybe the bass switched the other way.. or maybe not. depends if those mid range growl stab things would poke through enough. loved the switch and the cut off.

Dom & Roland - Terminate - deep dark dangerous. dom hasn't lost his touch. wicked mix.

Misanthrop - Amboss - yeah cool.

>>Inside Info - Honey Bee - not sure really, sounded like a good mix but sounded like there was no bass on either tune.

Basher & Xtrah - Hubble - cool mix. slightly less mid on amboss i think, without the bass playing on that tune those mid range bits sounds a lil tinny.

Hazard - Proteus - nice, came in a lil loud tho. that first bass hit was a bit powerfull.

Krakota - Be Myself - nice, shame about the levels tho. proteus is loud and this is quiet.

T.E.E.D - Garden (Calibre Remix) - vibes,

Northern Lights - All Night Long - shame that first kick had a lil clang to it. those vocals went wicked with teed. oooh gosh the bass with those do do dooo doo notes. pumping business. liked this alot man.

Nymfo - Double Dutch - good mix, lil less mid on double dutch so those pads have some more space.

Serum - Rat Trap VIP - wicked. love the old philly blunt/dope dragon style on this tune, i miss these bristol camp vibes.

Emalkay - The World (Teebee Remix) - wicked! vocals were tight over rat trap. serious double this one.

Hazard - Food Fight - was loud.. but still cool. if the levels were matching would have sounded even better.

Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line (S.P.Y. Remix) - melody sat nice over the b line. cut off sounded rather sudden tho.

great mix j.. liked this one alot...
selection was tops. a great reflection on 2011

Back
Top Bottom