Just wondering.... Test Presses / Promos

WhoSayReload?

VIP Junglist
Is there any difference in quality of the 12 to the full release? I swear I've heard they warp easier or they can't take as many plays?

Feck knows I'm a noob with all tings vinyl.

I believe in the days of ye olde before mp3's, vinyl dubplates were pressed on a slightly different (softer?) (and cheaper) material, making them more prone to wearing out quicker. Not sure if this still holds up today if you were to buy a promo off redeye or chemical...

Test Presses should essentially be the exact same format as the official release... this is the idea of a test press.. something to send the label to ensure everything is ok before they run 1000 copies etc...

Promos, again should be exactly the same just no artwork and used to (not sure if the case anymore) be used to determine whether there is a point in going through a full release with artwork. If the 200 copy promo run doesnt sell out then why press another 1000 copies.. capiche???

Vinyl Dubplate... they are what it says on the tin. It is a one off dubplate cut onto vinyl. Will be pretty much exactly the same as any vinyl you buy in the shops just probably the only copy in existance...

Acetate dubplate... made of a lesser quality material, not used very much anymore as on average you'd get between 50 & 100 plays before it starts to wearout. These dont feel like vinyl and feel more like a thin chunk of metal.. u can notice an acetate dub from the moment its put in your hands..

aaahhhh acetate.... oh how i miss the smell. I remember back in the days going to Transitions Studio to get my tunes cut to 10'' acetate. those were the days.

but yeh... Acetate... after about 20 or so playes... the cue point begins to crackle... like what freek said... after maybe 100 plays the rest of the vinyl will begin to loose sound quality. 1 rule when playing acetate.... NO REWINDS!

aaahhhh acetate.... oh how i miss the smell. I remember back in the days going to Transitions Studio to get my tunes cut to 10'' acetate. those were the days.

but yeh... Acetate... after about 20 or so playes... the cue point begins to crackle... like what freek said... after maybe 100 plays the rest of the vinyl will begin to loose sound quality. 1 rule when playing acetate.... NO REWINDS!

I've had loooaadss of dubs cut at transitions back in the day! Such a good service, only thing that made me stop was my investment in cdjs hahaha. Even though its slightly more expensive than most, id still reccomend em just cos they're legends!

there actually is some truth to this.
dont quote me on specifics, i'll shorten it as much as poss

they make the stamper which presses against the hot vinyl, thus making the record
stampers depreciate over time
so in theory if they are pressing enough records for the stamper to get worn ... then yes the earlier presses will be of better quality.

Amen! Those were definitely the days.

Back
Top Bottom