Just wondering how long everyone has been at Djin and how long it took you to feel li

(Bucky)

Just wondering how long everyone has been at Djin and how long it took you to feel like you could smash it everytime? I have been Djin myself for 16 months and feel like Ive got a ways to go yet. I released a tight short mix in November but have since been trying to lock down this new mix and no matter how many times I try I can't seem to nail it. Anyone else have these experiences?

Re: Just wondering how long everyone has been at Djin and how long it took you to fee

Hey mate, moved your thread to the DJing section. you'll probably get more replies here.

Re: Just wondering how long everyone has been at Djin and how long it took you to fee

ive been mixing 12 years o_O but been mixing dnb seriously for 5-6 years.

what cant you nail?

if its pitch problems, make a 'play book' i did this early on with tunes that go well together, pitches for the tunes, etc. eventually it will become like second nature, i can skin up while mixing, and still double drop! keep practising :pimp:

Been mixin dnb since i was 13... so about 10 years. Got my first Direct Numarks! TT1200's i think they were called???

As for getting to the stage when u think you can smash it everytime..... i dont think you will ever get there, you will always think theres room for improvement... but no doubt others may think you are smashing it.

The "play book" idea is a good idea in theory but in practice it wont help you! play around on your decks... use different pitches.... play your tunes in different orders etc. If you start playin the same two tunes together at the same pitch every time how will you ever become better???

What i always advise friends when they ask about mixing is to try and learn to mix using one hand very early on... i wish i did... Because when i started mixing i used todo the good ol' left hand on the platter and my right hand on the pitch.. learnt how to mix that way and then later on when u realise theres a whole lot of other stuff you can do on your mixer (i.e The DJM series) its hard to break the habbit and try to retrain your brain to work the fx unit/mixer and a deck at the same time.

Been mixin dnb since i was 13... so about 10 years. Got my first Direct Numarks! TT1200's i think they were called???

As for getting to the stage when u think you can smash it everytime..... i dont think you will ever get there, you will always think theres room for improvement... but no doubt others may think you are smashing it.

The "play book" idea is a good idea in theory but in practice it wont help you! play around on your decks... use different pitches.... play your tunes in different orders etc. If you start playin the same two tunes together at the same pitch every time how will you ever become better???

What i always advise friends when they ask about mixing is to try and learn to mix using one hand very early on... i wish i did... Because when i started mixing i used todo the good ol' left hand on the platter and my right hand on the pitch.. learnt how to mix that way and then later on when u realise theres a whole lot of other stuff you can do on your mixer (i.e The DJM series) its hard to break the habbit and try to retrain your brain to work the fx unit/mixer and a deck at the same time.

thats a nice bit of advice mate. i probably been dj'in about 11 months, but only had direct drive decks for about 4....and believe me there is a big difference lol.

im starting to record mixes, and it can be fustrating. the first time i recorded i put a list together in my head and tried it out...

but personally i think it can sound a lot better if u just go for it and not have any sort of order in your head

All of what rocksteady says there is propwer spot on

None of my mates mixed when I started out so I just figured it out in me own way, I've always used one hand to correct me mixes, dunno why, maybe because I smoke a lot - never realised that it was such a big plus

been mixin for like 6months but i only had a mixer for 4 months now, i got the beatmatchin thing pretty sorted now, phrases, double drops all that in the bag, i just need it to be tighter now, some of my mixes are just that lil bit out and IT SIMPLY WONT DO, i guess this is where being a perfectionist comes in handy. I guess my biggest problem atm is im over keen, sometimes im touching it when it it doesnt need it or being a lil too heavy on the slow down/speed up, i reckon in another 6 months i will b close to slammin it proper.

been mixin for like 6months but i only had a mixer for 4 months now, i got the beatmatchin thing pretty sorted now, phrases, double drops all that in the bag, i just need it to be tighter now, some of my mixes are just that lil bit out and IT SIMPLY WONT DO, i guess this is where being a perfectionist comes in handy. I guess my biggest problem atm is im over keen, sometimes im touching it when it it doesnt need it or being a lil too heavy on the slow down/speed up, i reckon in another 6 months i will b close to slammin it proper.

Same here been mixing for about 3 and half months. Got the beat matching down most of the time. Still cant pull through a set the way i would like. When i practice though i will pick up 2 tunes and try and mix them. If they sound like they wont mix I try a new tune. And if two tracks mix well, I keep it in mind so latter when im spinning a set i have a rough idea of what track possabilitys i can mix into. I try doing this with all my tracks but it does get a little conffusing at times.

The most important thing about drum'n'bass or even any type of dance music is that its broken up into 16bars... which are callled sequences.
When i first started i had no clue about this and would wonder why my mixs didnt sound very good......
If you dont know what a bar is..... when i tune drops count 1...2...3...4... thats 1 bar.... a sequence is made up of 16 of them. All dnb tunes are structured like this (apart from the few w**nk*r tunes that dont).... this little bit of knowledge will help you alot with understanding how to DJ and how to cue up double drops etc....
After a while you will get to know how many sequences there are before a drop just by looking at the vinyl... which helps alot.

This seems like a obvious thing to be writing when you have been mixin for a while but if you havent come from a musical background then your not really likely to know this.

Anyway i hope it helps you out a little more... just give me a shout on my msn if u get stuck wiv anything: skeptik@hotmail.co.uk

Peace out ppl
bluesuit2.gif

Last edited:

1 more thing....

What you will learn further on is about what keys the tunes are in... this is abit diffecult to people that havent come from a musical background..... at first!
But if you just get yourself a little Key Finder... which you can easily get hold of a free one if you google....
Play your traks at 0%pitch and see what key they are in.. note it down... tunes that are in the same Key will most likely sound perfect together...... Luckily most producers (especially Jump-Up) just use C.
But like i said after a while this will just come naturally.

anyway that enough rantin for 1 day! haha

Peace Out

rocks2.gif

Last edited:

I am happy wiv my progress on the turntables been dj'ing bout 3 years know... What makes the set is the music anyways, the mixing is just garnish to liven things up a bit. I can always do the mix I want to do, but the important thing is just how the music is recieved by people listening to it... I am humble that I have achieved what I set out to do; that is be the best I can.... Although I feel there is always room for improvement.

I find it difficult to tell someone how to mix, or explain to them whats the best way to do it is... This is because I learned solely from perserverance and no help from others... It is very difficult to explain what I do, as it has become second nature... Although I do it all the time, to explain to someone how to achieve the same results is near on impossible.

Some people are more apt than others... Just carry on practicing and be happy that you have tried your best at what your are doing... and thoroughly enjoyed it along the way

Last edited:

took me a week to learn how to beat match consistently ( constant practise with few DNB vinyl )

been mixing for almost 16 years ( all styles )

Just wondering how long everyone has been at Djin and how long it took you to feel like you could smash it everytime? I have been Djin myself for 16 months and feel like Ive got a ways to go yet. I released a tight short mix in November but have since been trying to lock down this new mix and no matter how many times I try I can't seem to nail it. Anyone else have these experiences?

Well.. I just got my desk 03/07.. I'm off and on, but they are str-80 direct drive.. They are good, but eh.. I have trouble.. NIce post.. Can't wait till I get a bit better... Still learning, but it's all good. :rslayer:

i was using cd decks for bout a year n a half. i got my proper decks bout 2 months ago n i find it easier

2 months lol but getting better production on lock thow

since late 92, got my first set of soundlabs in 93,technics in 95.
i still find mixing some old skool 92/93 tunes hard,god knows how i managed on those soundlabs back then lol.

started mixing bout may 98,got a pair of belt drives for my 18th the following march and got my first 1210s in 03,got took the piss out of at first but u pass that,practice as they say makes perfect,aint been at it like i used to but when i set em back up,takes bout a couple of mixes to get back to that 'ive cued this one up allready and only jus dropped the first',i found out that i could get so quick at cue inq up i jus seem to reel thru tunes like every couple of mins,what i also like is discoverin droppin a tune at a certain point then as if by fkin magic thay both break at the same time,vocal at the same time and create some sort of fkin mindblowin mix,used to note em down on bits of paper that ive got somewhere,will share eventually.

i have been mixing for just under 3 years now i had to teach myself everything i know just from reading bits and pieces here n there i still feel there is loads more improvements to be made although everyone round my local area thinks im a pro but im far from it i started using numark tt1625's used them for about a year maybe 2 and then got myself the new stanton t.120's my mixing suddenly got alot tighter and have done various nights because of it i still mix on my stantons at home because i love them but i go round mates houses to use 1210's because thats the deck everyone uses at events/partys i feel i can mix well on both decks it took me a while to get used to the slightly less weaker motor on the 1210's but im used to it now :smash:

in my experience, it's all about pitching riding and touching the platter as little as possible. i try and make a point of not touching it at now unless i drasticly need to do a late quick fix to a mix comming in or something.

but yeah, pitching riding FTW.

Back
Top Bottom