Just thought...

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
I'd say hi again. Not been on here in a while...

2 questions... one in badly learnt english...

1. Bass and drums... how fit perfect in spectrum in harmony so no clashing but still sounding loud?

2. My tracks seem to be losing width when they drop too. If that makes sense? They sound lush with pads before the drop but then when I take the pads out I lose all the width and it just sounds a bit flat. Not crap... just a little flat. Make sense?

If you give the bass width, you lose power. Rather layer your bass / kick's with something that has a nice high end, and make that wide ( by panning.. stereo spread tools )

Layering a more middy bass and widening that usually does it. And my usual technique to understand mastered professional tracks better is to load it into the daw and do raw EQ cuts to see where the sounds are hitting (y)

Bass and drums... how fit perfect in spectrum in harmony so no clashing but still sounding loud?

1. Choose good sounds, if have no good, use many
2. Pitch so that kick lowest sound is good at 70-150Hz, snare lowest at 200-400hz. Remember they also both need highs 4000Hz-15000Hz to smack. Try to make it in tune with everything else in track with pitching too.
3. If cant #2, use EQ to help.
4. Sub no need to eq usually, unless a low shelf boost below kick to make it powerful. not under 30Hz though.
5. a popular way is to sidechain so that the bass will drop in volume quickly every time a kick hits. There are tutorials for it on the net.

My tracks seem to be losing width when they drop too. If that makes sense? They sound lush with pads before the drop but then when I take the pads out I lose all the width and it just sounds a bit flat. Not crap... just a little flat. Make sense?

Dont drop lush pads after drop :D

You could use some very quiet sounds too, like a city night background, rain sounds etc to sort of 'fill it'. Personally I just like to drench everything (samples, synths etc) in reverb or long delays.

Use panning on other sounds to make up for the lost width - stabs, synths, fx, background ambience. Even drums, but keep the kick and snare in the center and be subtle.

Back
Top Bottom