DnB Just started producing with Ableton Live, after feedback and advice.

Chris_Spencer

NEW to producing dnb and this forum!

Hello, I have just signed up since this seems like a good place to get some information and tips on producing drum and bass.

I have only been using Ableton Live for a week and although I can tell there is an incredible amount that can be done with the software I am pleased with the little bit I have been able to achieve.

I was hoping for some ideas when it comes to plugins, the only one I am using at the moment is NI Massive, are there other ones I really shouldn't be missing?

On my Sound_cloud (chrisspenceruk) is my first drum and bass track, it took me a week to get the hang of the software and produce this track, if you are interested let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisspenceruk/childs-play-1

Welcome aboard man; you'll enjoy it here :)

I don't use Albeton myself so can't offer any help in that regard, but I'm sure a few others will be of assistance. If you're still interested in other vsts to integrate into your DAW (free ones at that), I might be able to mention a few. Just depends on what features the included ones in Albeton have that may or may not make 'em redundant xP.

A tip; if you're posting tunes, you can either post them in the WIP thread or Track Review thread. They're both in the Production sub-forum. I gave it a listen myself and liked it a nice deal; could do with something different w/ that cymbal closing each bar and the vocal gets a little cheesy after a while, but otherwise it's a nice dark one. I'll put 'ya on my SC so good luck w/ future productions.

I'd probably just stick with Massive for now and learn all the Ableton ones, I went through a stage where I had to get every single plugin that I read was good or saw a producer using and totally disregarded the native Ableton ones but now the only plugins I have are Massive, Sylenth, the FabFilter stuff and iZotope Ozone.

Welcome aboard man; you'll enjoy it here :)

I don't use Albeton myself so can't offer any help in that regard, but I'm sure a few others will be of assistance. If you're still interested in other vsts to integrate into your DAW (free ones at that), I might be able to mention a few. Just depends on what features the included ones in Albeton have that may or may not make 'em redundant xP.

A tip; if you're posting tunes, you can either post them in the WIP thread or Track Review thread. They're both in the Production sub-forum. I gave it a listen myself and liked it a nice deal; could do with something different w/ that cymbal closing each bar and the vocal gets a little cheesy after a while, but otherwise it's a nice dark one. I'll put 'ya on my SC so good luck w/ future productions.

Hey and thanks for the welcome :) Ableton does seem to have a lot of inbuilt features in it, im sure i'll stumble upon some good VSTs for myself sooner or later.
Thank you for the tip, I take all criticism on board and straight away I agree with you, I am going to remove the child voice from 50% of the main bit to allow the music to come through a bit more and I know i need to make the drums a bit more diverse i am just struggling a little with them. I am in the process of improving the track and even purchased SC pro so I can keep my stats lol. I would appropriate if you would have another listen when ive uploaded these changes, should be sometime today.

I'd probably just stick with Massive for now and learn all the Ableton ones, I went through a stage where I had to get every single plugin that I read was good or saw a producer using and totally disregarded the native Ableton ones but now the only plugins I have are Massive, Sylenth, the FabFilter stuff and iZotope Ozone.

Yea I will be sticking with massive it seems really good, sounds good ill look into those plugins and see if the're any good for me. Appreciate the reply's fellas!

EDIT: I have no made some changes and updated the track. Still not happy with certain parts of it like the repetitive drums and winy intro but i'll get to them.

Last edited:
NEW to producing dnb and this forum!

Hello, I have just signed up since this seems like a good place to get some information and tips on producing drum and bass.

I have only been using Ableton Live for a week and although I can tell there is an incredible amount that can be done with the software I am pleased with the little bit I have been able to achieve.

I was hoping for some ideas when it comes to plugins, the only one I am using at the moment is NI Massive, are there other ones I really shouldn't be missing?

On my Sound_cloud (chrisspenceruk) is my first drum and bass track, it took me a week to get the hang of the software and produce this track, if you are interested let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisspenceruk/childs-play-1

When it comes to plug ins that are NEEDED. Id say really get to know the ableton plug ins first. . . .From that point you'll get a good idea what you use most.

-[synths] Theres so much that can be done with grouping Operators, you'd be amazed. Although Massive is the go to synth for most producers, (that is the reason I try to stay away from it).

-[EQ] the ableton eq isn't bad, but fabfilter pro Q is the go to EQ for track mix down eqing. you have that, thats all you'll need for now.

-[reverb] The max for live convolution reverb is awesome. no need to go crazy looking for more right now.

-[chorus] I use the ableton chorus as well. (I'm looking for more in that department, so i don't know as of yet).

-[delay] the ableton simple delay is nice. BUT Fabfilter timeless is awesome.

-[distortion] I download as many distortion plug ins as possible (its always good to change up distortions in the same track, that way theres different algorithms for each track. Alowing for an easier mix down)

-[Shit i can't live without] Isotope Ozone 5, Isotope Alloy, Sausage Fattener, Camelphat. PSP Vintage Warmer.

I hope that helps. . . . .these are just MY go to plug ins. By watching some Masterclass videos, you'll see a repeat in certain plug ins. theres a reason those ones are used ALL THE TIME!

i use ableton from a year..
all the vst i need are.. NI massive, izotope Ozone 5, izotope Trash 2.. but im' not so skilled than wait for others feedback.

Ableton build in plugins will do just fine but after some time you get to recognize its limits (or in some cases its complexity) and it is time to look further. As mentioned before FabFilter offers really outstanding plugins. Next to that it is a matter of taste. Are you into melodic DnB then you could go for Nexus, Sylenth1 or Linplug Spectral. NI's Massive is a good one for almost everything that is why people use it. If you want to go a bit further try things like Steinberg Darkplanet or NI Razor. The last ones I would like mention are Camelphat (multieffect) and Camelcrusher (free distortion).

But: better to learn 1 plugin inside out than having all of them and not knowing how to use them.

Back
Top Bottom