just started mixing!!

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
i started mixing years ago on my mates proper old school numark cd decks! with the finger jog wheel and that!

anyway i have just bought sum turntables etc.. few vynle..

i have found im getting better as i have hit a few good mixes.. but i then flop on other tunes badly! its really frusttrating me.

im finding when i touch the platter i can get it in beat but its a constant battle to keep it in! also whenever i move the pitch its sort of guess work as to where it shud be i guess.

i am just looking for a few tips of the best way to mix really! anyhelp would be great. thank you!

spend more time on your beat matching and dont just bring it in if your still having to pitch adjust substantially. im always riding the pitch even when im comfortable with the match.

practice mate :)

i find that tunes that start with a beat are alot easier to mix.. is it worth just finding the start of the beat with the tunes that dont or always start from the beggining?

that also just comes with practise mate.. i used to skip straight into the first kick, skipping intros & hats.

its not really a problem for me now, it just comes naturally, you will start to pick up in time how an intro should sound when being mixed with no stand out beat.

trust :) all in good time!

dont let an intro put you off though, just play around with it and count the bars, once you train your ear enough, you'l be able to tell when an intro is on or not.

that also just comes with practise mate.. i used to skip straight into the first kick, skipping intros & hats.

its not really a problem for me now, it just comes naturally, you will start to pick up in time how an intro should sound when being mixed with no stand out beat.

trust :) all in good time!

dont let an intro put you off though, just play around with it and count the bars, once you train your ear enough, you'l be able to tell when an intro is on or not.

cheers mate! i gotta learn not to get so frustrated! thing is i used to be able to mix on those cd decks with mix cd's piece of piss! and it feels good to drop a good mix.. then when u flop the next one its like aaaaahhhhh :mad:!!

Its all abour practice. It really does help. Once yoe can tell whther the tune needs speeding up or slowing down youl nail it. Its all about pitch bending aswell. Try get out of the habbit of touching the platter, sounds messy, also does fuck all. Its a short term fix to get the tune in time but you really need to focus on the pitch.

Practice with two tunes from the start. Get the first beat one tune, get the other first beat on the tune (what i mean is the first kick). Drop em together and try keeping em in time. Its a good bit of practice for beat matching.

Once you get the beat matching, pitch bending, beats & bars youl get it all the time. Takes a few months but once you learn it youl never forget.

Last edited:
see i would have thought touching the platter is an essential part of it!? thats whats been keeping my tunes in time! i honestly would get no where with just pitch riding at the moment! i will try that tho. safe

pitch riding takes time like nick said, but what doesnt mate.

i do touch the platter but only to get it where i need the immediately adjust the pitch, and pitch ride from there, it does sound messy though if you rely on it to much.

the whole point is, if you need to touch the platter, and skip it up or slow it down drastically, the mix shouldnt really be in.

would it make sense if i was to touch the platter to be adjusting the pitch at the same time rather than afterwoulds?

see i would have thought touching the platter is an essential part of it!? thats whats been keeping my tunes in time! i honestly would get no where with just pitch riding at the moment! i will try that tho. safe

I spose at first it doesnt matter about touching the platter really, focus on the beat matching. Once you get that, learn the picth bending for a clean mix.

would it make sense if i was to touch the platter to be adjusting the pitch at the same time rather than afterwoulds?

i do this, but before i bring in a tune, i slow or speed with platter and pitch. once im comfortable, i bring in, but always ride the pitch from then on there, no scattys!

Thanks for your help lads.. i reckon ill probably have no life for about 3 to 4 months and not leave my house now!!

I spose at first it doesnt matter about touching the platter really, focus on the beat matching. Once you get that, learn the picth bending for a clean mix.

Right I'm confused, I've always thought slowing and speeding a record using the platter or spindle was pitch bending? :confused:

Right I'm confused, I've always thought slowing and speeding a record using the platter or spindle was pitch bending? :confused:

iv found that this helps, because on the cd decks its essential to do it to keep it in time. i thiought it was exactly the same as a jog wheel?

Pitch bending involves just the pitch. No platter touching involved. Literally riding it up & down untill in time.

iv found that this helps, because on the cd decks its essential to do it to keep it in time. i thiought it was exactly the same as a jog wheel?

yeah its the easiest way to learn, but I've always known it as pitch bending so I am unsure what nick-ep is reffering to when he mentions pitch bending

Pitch bending involves just the pitch. No platter touching involved. Literally riding it up & down untill in time.

No thats called pitch riding, bending the pitch is speeding the record with out adjusting the pitch fader

No thats called pitch riding, bending the pitch is speeding the record with out adjusting the pitch fader

Well iv always called it pitch bending. Cant say i speed a record without adjusting the pitch. Sounds messy and does nothing long term.

Back
Top Bottom