Just had an offer from a minor label

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by dafo93, Jan 4, 2010.

1. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Sent a label a demo I made a few weeks ago, and they've replied with a contract. Now I'm not sure I should take it - is it better to take it and get my name out there, or wait it out and wait till my productions are good enough to aim higher?
    Cheers

2. jmzmaloney

jmzmaloney ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS Staff Member

If its a five album deal, I'd run away. 1 or 2 tunes then take it.

3. *Chloe

*Chloe Well-Known Member

be very careful who you give your songs to.
    Make sure they are a real label, and a label thats got the money to get your song out.
    Ive worked with labels who have gone bankrupt and basically took peoples songs.
    cant stress it enough to be very cautious.

4. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

That's exactly what I was worried about, I've heard stories of things like that happening to people.

Spoken to two well known producers and one's said to take it, other's said to aim higher. I know it's not a very big deal, but I'm only 16 and this is my first offer so I really don't know what to do.

5. jmzmaloney

jmzmaloney ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS Staff Member

How much music do they want from you

6. Tera

Tera Member

If it' a vinyl release then get it out there while you can. Cos it wont be happening for long.

lol at 'not being paid', if it's going on vinyl there wont be any profit anyway!! Just get it out there...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. Dan M

Dan M hard gay northern bear

when you take a shit never wash your hands in the toilet bowl after the terds washed away. theres a cunning metaphor in there you look deep into it.

8. ali1212

ali1212 ....

which tune/tunes is it?

9. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

They want "a minimum of 8 tracks out in a year", digital distributions are going to happen, and they are apparently looking to press the "best releases on vinyl".

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

hmmm... sounds sceptical to me? 8 tracks in a year, best on vinyl... almost too good to be true, so probably is?

however, exposure is exposure? Id go for it personally but after i had researched the label... wana name them? we can all go inspector clueso on them?

and @ chloe, bummer bout that label that went bust and never paid you? :(

11. *Chloe

*Chloe Well-Known Member

hes right on the money.
    lets google them!

and yeh i know mate, fucking cunts.
    im happy i told dexcell and mattix to NOT send them tracks.

12. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Go for it Dafo. It's better to get your name out there mate. Just make sure that you check that these guys are legit though. Have you seen if they have a distributer and what are the sites that they sell from?

You can add JamesZero to that list aswell. You saved our skins on that one Chloe. We're very thankful that you did aswell! :not_worth

13. second opinion

second opinion bacon sarnies hmmmm

must agree entirely on the history check of said label,
    how many previous releases and such? maybe slyly find out what artists have worked with them b4,(bullshitters always love droppin names)then contact said artists to find out what their experience was with said label

14. *Chloe

*Chloe Well-Known Member

yeh man smarty, russ has pulled the worse and blocked EVERYONE off his facebook, cant get in touch with him now, i swear ill find him one day tho...

15. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

Give me your tunes, i'll make you a star darling.

16. kasra

kasra Active Member

Sign 2 tunes at a time

17. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

18. djrowney

djrowney G13 RECORDS/SMOKESCREEN

bro i can see you can make tunes well but there really is no rush..you still got a lot of time, go for the best, go for ram, frequency or a well known label..
    you're only 16 and i guarantee you'll look back in a year at your stuff and realise how much you've come on..everyone gets remembered for their first release, especially if its using the name you want to be known by, i tell a lot of producers this, there really is no rush and with some of the standards of digital labels these days u need something good to stand out or you'll just be forgotten next day like a lot of the weak producers who are selling their souls to digital labels when they need a few more years producing before they release anything..harsh reality

19. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

ah your the guy whos tune got played by Fabio, you look like youve got quite a future lined up. Jealous right here....

Sound advice from Kasra there too.

20. Ian_x

Ian_x Member

I am hoping to get my production together this year and hopefully start getting my stuff out to people. I was thinking that I would aim for the smaller labels/digital first (but ones I had heard or at least someone heard or knew about) and hopefully get a few small releases then gradually build a name hoping the bigger labels/DJs would start taking an interest.

I hear what Rowney and a few others are saying too but I thats the way I was thinking I would take it. I guess it depends on the strength of your tracks too. I think it would be a couple of years at least for me until I am at the level of say a SOUL:R release (one of my fav labels) so a few small releases getting feedback, learning how things/industry work and maybe hearing them on different systems etc would be good for my growth as a producer.

Dont get me wrong though I would love to write a huge track and suddenly get big label interest!!!

Also why did you send them the track in the first place? Did someone tell you about them or you see an advert or something?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010