Just bought a flat, got a basement, studio ideas please!

Discussion in 'Production' started by RUSSLA, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Well just had my final completion date agreed today and need to start thinking about studio bizness!

It's a 13x10ft room, it has quite low ceilings and a steep stair case on the far side. It's all carpeted and has central heating etc so not your standard grotty basement.

Basically i'm getting my carpenter mate in to do the work but I'm trying to think of what type of build i'll need. I don't have any hardware as such except a 25 midi keyboard but I'll probably get some in the future.

Im guna have decks on one side and small sofa at the back of the room but that's about it.

If you guys know of any studio build threads that'd be sweet, or if you have built one yourself, is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advanced :)

2. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

go all out; room inside a room, nice panels and foams, do the fucking math to make it worthwhile (seriously, don't just randomly throw up foam)and have all of your everythings connected to these sorts of doodads

http://hexapodsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/LX1.jpg

The reason you want those is so you can angle them downward and chill the fuck out in your king size beanbag chair and make phatass beats

3. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ha well I probably should have mentioned Im now completely broke lol! Literally my life savings have gone into this badboy lol!

I do really like those stands tho! Handy as well cos Ive been advised not to drill into the walls as its all been tarred for moisture purposes?

I was intending on making my own bass traps etc. I was in Ulterior Motives studio a couple of weeks ago and they made them themselves. I know about Rockwool but is there anything else for home-brews?

4. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

a bucket, 20L of apple juice and bread yeast works quite well man.

i think you need to think about how much you can invest in here as it can't really be zero - you need some idea of what you can spend, even if it's what, 20 quid? and what are you going to be doing in there - just producing and mixing, or do you want recording facilities too?

i would think if you don't have carpet or speaker stands (or Mopads) then that would definitely be your first port of call. you can get budget shit for something like 2 quid a square metre and fit it yourself (I don't know if that measurement is right, but it was 10x cheaper than my bedroom carpet, hahah.) get your monitors away from the wall and do everything to break the reflections behind them.

and if you're really on a budget, never underestimate the benefit of having plenty of soft furniture and stuffing duvets in the corners/on the walls!

5. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

and a fridge too

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeh well Im fully up for spending some money to get the traps made up. Im ok with my hands so no cost for people there, its just I need some material on the cheap. Been reading up about rigid fibreglass sheets to use. seems like a plan

7. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

sounds like your family are about to lose you to that basement :D ... im jel though

8. Dugg Funnie

Owens Corning 703

9. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

keytar is a must

10. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ah no family, moving in with my mate who also produces dnb :)

Sound. There's no pun there.

11. Krispy

Krispy Member

So I am also thinking of setting up a studio in the near future...

What sort of placement should these traps have? Just in the corners?
    And I also see that sort of zig-zag foamy looking material on the walls... Whats that about?

Eg.) http://www.atsacoustics.com/foam-acoustic-panels.html

Is there a website that explains how to properly set up a room ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. Krispy

Krispy Member

cool video on studio treatment i found

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  13. N3GUS

N3GUS Member

I'd suggest the first thing you should consider if its not been dealt with already is a damp proof membrane and wall treatment and decent ventilation.

14. Dugg Funnie

If you really want the know how, I'd check the book Understanding Audio. It has a whole section on room acoustics, compensating for them for both standard reference and level equalization but, also adjusting for psychoacoustics and other such factors.

Or, I'll dig through my old notes from berklee for some links.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSghYY_rX-A

http://www.acoustics101.com/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  15. Reactor Grits

Reactor Grits lick a shot

Good to read this thread. I'm moving houses as well and am planning on doing some serious preparation steps so I won't go into an eternal neighbour war like kinda happened at my old place. Does anyone know what is best to put on the floor, when you already have your monitors on spiked stands? The floor under it is wood (top) on concrete (below) btw.

16. JoeCarlse

JoeCarlse -ToxicExit09-

Is he gunna be using the studio as well?

17. Garf Richards

Garf Richards New Member

Look into 'floating rooms'. Don't know if logistics permit, but it may give you inspiration. Congrats on the purchase by the way!

18. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Ok so here's a little pic as it stands, got some foam on the walls temporarily until the stuff below arrives. Then Ive gotta head over to Travis Perkins and grab a bunch of the Knauf RS60 as they dont sell rockwool as such, spoke to Knauf and they said it does the same thing and having a trade card for TP it makes sense to save a few bob. Gotta get some wood frames made up on the weekends for the traps so expecting to pay another £100 to get the traps done.

Studio:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Acoustic Foam:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Treatment-Wedge-Euphonic-Studio-Foam-Tiles-/380085976801

19. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeh man! its handy cos we are both on the same wavelength when writing tunes!

A floating room would be good but yeh its not feasible, plus not much sound leaks out of the basement which is good! And cheers, loving every minutes atm :)

20. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch