just another newbie with questions :)

Nacon

Vidual
VIP Junglist
Hello, so when i realised that only listening to music wasn't enough for me anymore 2 weeks ago, i've been testing out production... ever since that, and it's very difficult, and tiring yet motivating once you finish something or get something right
So i'm a total newbie when it comes to it. But i'm just wondering if anybody could give me a few tips.. pointers.. and stuff like that... anyway my problem is.. this is "pretty much" the first thing i've done except 1 very unlistenable one.
Back on topic now: i'd like to add like, an electic guitar'ish sound to this

Anyway, this is pretty much my first ever thing and, don't go too hard on me now, i'm still far from being able to make something good :)

http://soundcloud.com/bestproducerever/my-perspective
(nevermind the account name, i just ironically picked something, going to make a new one, soon )

Like there is in
At 1:27

1)Anyway, is there some sort of a VSTi to immitate this kind of an electric guitar sound, or do i need samples? And if anybody is kind enough maybe you can point me towards them :)

2)Another note with samples is, due to me being a beginner, ( I'm using FL 9 ) Is samples, like manipulating them, for instance: There is somekind of a soundeffect, and i want it on a higher note but then it just speeds up and is shorter, is there any way to work around this?

3)Another question i have is about NI Kontakt, i mean in basic, what can you do with it, what is it helpful for when it comes to samples, what's the main purpouse of it?

I hope i don't sound too newbie'ish, we all have to start from somewhere...

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not bad for 2 weeks mate, you got a decent idea of musical structure and composition which is an advantage.

the ideas will progress naturally the more time u spend writing, so i cant help you musically, but i will suggest that the sooner you look into "mixdowns" and EQing the better, in my perspective. EQ and mixdowns are what gives the track an over all sound; it doesnt matter if your composition is more advanced than mozart, its going to sound like shit if its not mixed properly. It just involves getting everything at the right volume and editing sounds to.. sound nice!

i cannot give you VST advice however as i have not begun using them yet (now whos the noob!!)

dont threat everyone is a newbie at some point, n coming here will help you to grow out of that stage quickly!!

Hey you asked a question that i really want to know the answer to as well:
2)Another note with samples is, due to me being a beginner, ( I'm using FL 9 ) Is samples, like manipulating them, for instance: There is somekind of a soundeffect, and i want it on a higher note but then it just speeds up and is shorter, is there any way to work around this?

Ive got reason and this annoys me - with wav samples if you play a higher note its faster.
Is there anyway to change the "root note" each time you press a key?

p.s your tune is groovy man

1)Anyway, is there some sort of a VSTi to immitate this kind of an electric guitar sound, or do i need samples? And if anybody is kind enough maybe you can point me towards them :)

which sound exactly are you after ? that high pitched screech is more likely a synth. otherwise, the grunge guitar is usually some sort of distortion.
there are a few vst guitar and amplifier/distortion emulations, like the scarbee or amplitude ones, but they cost fuckloads. check KVR site for other cheaper or free ones.

thats generally how audio works. if you alter a sound's pitch, it will affect its length. some samplers have functions that defeat that, but in cost of quality. some programs have good time stretching effects. again, check out for some free ones, and try them for your self.
3)Another question i have is about NI Kontakt, i mean in basic, what can you do with it, what is it helpful for when it comes to samples, what's the main purpouse of it?
its a sampler, in a nutshell. does everything the FL sampler does, and a bit more. far too many to talk about here, check their website for more info.
I hope i don't sound too newbie'ish, we all have to start from somewhere...

Regards.
absolutely mate, any questions are welcome. the most important thing for beginners is to dig up as much information as possible on all aspects of music making. check for terms and expressions you dont understand, and try to figure out what they mean.
btw, i heard your tune, and to me it just sounds very empty from a production point of view, but interesting musically. you have a vague idea of the structure for this style, and your mixdown is acceptable, perhaps the bass could be less pronounced.
keep at it mate (y):)

Thanks for the info mate, by this time i've already got another question, i remember i saw some Music manual' or production manuals floating around on this board so i downloaded them and just read for 1 day....
Anyway, now comes another question, When i do Sidechaining, for some reason how can i not get it right even after watching tutorial videos.
Is this part at 00:50 in the background made with sidechaining?

Because i tried to do something similar and sidechained it to my kicks, but it came out that, the volume on the sound which i had sidechained didn't go down enough, and it wasn't even very noticeable

I hope someone is tolerant enough to help me out :)

By the way i tried making something else meanwhile =D if someone is somewhat interested what the progress can be in 2 weeks and 3 days now. :D
Still horrible of course :)
http://soundcloud.com/cizdnb/ciz-ascaris

Last edited by a moderator:
sidechaining can be achieved well by using fades and volume automation. basically thats what sidechaining does, but it has other effects which you may or may not want to the sound you're treating. what platform are you working on btw?

im not very good with FL, but try to find information on how you can automate the volume so it ducks whenever you want it. and by adjusting the curve by which the volume modulates, you have full control over what shape your sidechain is.

Thank you, :) I'll look into it right away,
And by the way, what do all of you think, should i try to finish something, project, and make it as good as possible, with spending lots of time on it or, making lots of diffrent kind of stuff and then just experimenting?

id say make as many different projects as possible, and dont spend a lot of time on them. but its important to finish full arrangements, even if the sounds arent that great. try to evaluate each piece you finish: whats successful about it, what isnt, and how you can avoid doing something similar to the next tune. once you got a few tracks finished, you can revisit the first ones and try new techniques again. take it ez mate (y)

Because i tried to do something similar and sidechained it to my kicks, but it came out that, the volume on the sound which i had sidechained didn't go down enough, and it wasn't even very noticeable

I hope someone is tolerant enough to help me out :)

I am not to familiar with FL anymore haven't been using it for a long time...but with sidechaining, try this one out.

For example, you have two tracks...Kick- drum and Bass, link them Both to the Mixer. Open up the Mixer, select and add the Fruity Peak controller to the Bass track.
Then right- click on the Volume Control of the Kick- drum and select "Link to controller"...a window should show up, there you need to select "Peak" (there is something like Peak and LFO etc., just select Peak) and click on invert.

Then go back to the Peak controller and click the mute Button, it's usually muted, so u need to unmute it.

Then you can adjust Volume etc. in the Peak controller, for the sound you would like to have.

Thanks, Big ups!
I am wondering, with what kind of a VSTi am i able to make this kind of a sound anyway, like that loud sound- quality killer(which i posted above ) background thing that is sidechained there? I've noticed it's in a lot of tech-ier dnb tracks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom