just a little advice

Discussion in 'Production' started by ManuForti, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

so i work with ableton live and use a x-fi soundcard an an i5 chip with all drivers in place asio4all. ive been using 192khz on my sample rate but im increasingly reading that 48khz is what i should be using since anything above is overkill. just wondered what everyone else is using?

2. Altodnb.

Altodnb. AltoDnB

48khz is for film audio, 44.1khz for songs

3. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

I work in 48khz since I like to use a lot of stuff under videos and do some video music every now and then. it shouldn't really matter, anything above 44.1khz is good.

4. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

ARTFX
    what happened to the tut tuesdays?

5. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

ok cheers guys... 48 it is because it can put enourmouse pressure on my cpu at 192 and it seems ive been trying to work round this without actually gaining anything lol. being a noob i just asumed the higher the better

6. ARTFX

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

If you're going to work at a higher sample rate, go for 88.2, NOT 48. Just as if you were to create a film soundtrack, you would use 96 and then downsample to 48.

I've discussed this ad nauseam in other posts, but put simply: 88.2 divided by 2 equals 44.1, a perfect equation which computers/processors etc. "like."

When downsampling from headroom friendly 88.2 to audio ready 44.1, this even distribution will benefit the processing of your audio and the end product.

Cheers.

8. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

Load of cock. It might downsample in a few less instructions, but as downsampling isn't something you do very often, you'd be an idiot to ever choose your sampling rate based on it. In fact, you'll incur plenty of constant overhead as you downsample 88khz just to play it, unless your soundcard is really fucking weird. Soundcards contain a ton of hardware optimizations for DMA and general handling 44.1 and 48khz rates (even 96). But not 88.2khz. You'll get a noticeable slowdown ALL the time, if you only bother to measure it.

Maybe it would be better if you'd shut the fuck up until you get a clue.

9. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

Whats this???

Ive never ever looked at sample rate before and just selected whatever made my PC run smoothest...... Whats the difference?

10. ARTFX

The sample rate is the amount of samples in a given time period, mostly per second I think. Not to sure on this at all, but I know that 44.1 and 48 are the most used. And btw, all professional sound cards these days are well capable of converting let's say 48 or 96 to 44.1 without any weird artifacts.

11. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

i dont even get these choices its 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000 and 192000... im gonna stick with 48000 seems to be the preffered option from what im hearing and my pc seems to handle 192000 without any issues so why not go a little higher?

12. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

44100 is in Hz, so divided by 1000 is 44.1kHz... you'll be fine in 48kHz that's pretty standard but you can choose whatever. You'll probably not hear an improvement with higher rates, and it may go slower, but if you've no issues then it'd be up to you. Test and see. Any 'improvement' will probably be lost by everything else in your signal chain, ie rounding issues in your plugins and daws, DAC conversion, a cheap audio cable, distortion and noise in your amp, cheap speakers, bad room acoustics, traffic noise outside, hum from computer fans, neighbours tv, wax in your ears, etc etc. You could also spend time working on melodies in ultrasonic frequencies that only dogs can hear, so why not go ahead and do that too... at some point you just can't hear stuff anymore. And that point is, by and large, 48kHz for the kind of people likely to be discussing the issue on this forum.

13. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

yeah that was the point of the thread i had no idea that i was using a sample rate that was way overkill i certainly wont be using 192khz or 96khz as theres no point it seems 48khz is fine and thanks for your replys.

14. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

I work at 96khz where i can because i feel like it gives me greater detail, esp in the top end, and because that is the native sample rate of most of my hardware, occasionally I will work at 48khz (with certain hardware) and depending on the work load of the project, i only render at 44.1Khz when i do my own mastering and want a CD ready file, otherwise i render at 96khz.

Someone described the diffrence between 96khz and 44.1khz to me a few years ago, describing 96khz has a fine oil painting, and 44.1khz as an etech-sketch copy; mathmatically its not far off that comparison either. put it this way, 44.1khz is the minimum you should ever use for reasonable audio quality, so the higher you can use the better, the detail really is missing, even if its not entirly noticble to your ears yet. does it matter yet? hard to say, I think if you dont feel like you need 96khz, then you probly dont, and using 48khz wont be an issue, either way, use the native sample rate of your hardware to save on A/D conversion issues

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

ah see now the rabbit hole gets deeper.... well when i export my audio i always use 192khz but when im working on something id usually until now use the same (now im using 48khz). so Miszt ya reckon i should be doing 96khz for everything... gonna upload some samples to see if anyone could tell difference.

this is just a song im working first ones 192khz second is 48khz (exported audio) i notice difference straight away 48 isnt as loud and some sounds are not so prominent.

thing is i was talking about sample rate when doing my work not exporting the work so now im like wtf.

16. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

use the native sample rate of your hardware, likley to be 48 or 96, for production, and whatever you like for exporting, higher the better.

Ive not listened to the samples you posted above, but mp3 compression fuck the top end anyway, so it would be difficult to no what is going on, the diffrence between 96 and 48khz can be very subtle to the point of not noticing it at all, unless you are dealing with aliasing/dithering or anything where you need to hear as much detail as possible in the top end, personally i cant hear any diffrence much lower down the freq spectrum (not tried much, gona investigate more i think!)

17. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

ok ill go with Miszt... default sample rate for soundcard apears to be 96khz and i will export on 192khz. good stuff guys thanks for input.

18. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

I'm grumpy before i get my morning coffee, sorry lostnsound...

jawdnb, when you upload stuff to soundcloud they transcode it, effectively changing it to whatever bit depth and sampling rate they want, PLUS, they will compress it (probably ogg compression) which throws out some frequency information, reducing the quality (although hopefully not in obvious ways, but still mutilating it). This makes soundcloud only useful for comparing gross details as any subtle differences will be lost or modified. You'll need to export as uncompressed .wav to keep the detail. On top of all that, your audience will be playing the tune through their soundcards, which are probably set to 44.1 or 48khz so if that's different from soundclouds transcoding there's that additional resampling going on.

Finally, there's no real point in working at 48khz but then upsampling to 192khz when finished. It doesnt magically add any extra information. It just fills in the gaps with, well, nothing. So you'll end up with basically the same sound, just that at 192kHz it has the potential to hold more details. But it doesn't..

19. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

That is for audio files, not synths, vsts. Get the highest sample rate samples you can find (pro standard is generally 96khz+, free stuff tends to be 44.1khz), because as Innovine said, theres not much point bumping it later on...unless you have done some processing on it; but for VST's, synths etc, the sample rate will be set by your DAW, so even if you work @ 48khz, you can still render at 192khz and get the full sample rate, but lower rate samples/audio files wont benefit

20. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

All good Innovine, I'm the same way without my morning cup! Admittedly, this is a very gray area to me. I sent ya a PM.