Jungle producing hardware setup help

Dis0gree

Hello everyone,

So I've been fascinated with the oldskool Congo Natty, TopCat and Kenny Ken etc, I love Jungle and so I am planning to try it myself.

I want to start buying the necessary hardware, maybe you have an idea what I should order a complete setup? Basicly, a list (Maybe with link included) of hardware for a completed setup.

-Beatmaking hardware
-Turntables
etc.

Software is also important, maybe any tips on software?

Thanks in advanced ;)
Kyle.

(Excuse me if this the wrong section, forumwise)

Last edited:
right to get fully into the dj/producer side of it i would reccomend investing in a decent pc (if you aint got one already)
then invest in a copy of Propellahead Reason, as it is the best software to start on and proffessionals still use it now.
Then invest in some decent sample packs, www.loopmasters.com, www.producerloops.com and now you're ready to start producing.

Mixing wise, get yourself 2 x Technics 1210 mk 2s and a Pioneer DJM series mixer. These are expensive but are reliable and will last you a very loooong time.

Then ya just need to buy some vinyl from places like nu urban, chemical & redeye.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

also watch lots of reason tutorials on youtube as these are a great resource.

dont get sample packs. get samples. strangely tracker software is conductive for jungle. you can hardly sit in front of one and not start breaking up chopper beats and doing drop basses. modplug is free and so is buzz. download those, get yourself some breaks, a sub and some strings and youre off.

Hey there,

Thanks both of you, heres some information about my computer:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A66TD PRO
Chipset: AMD 770
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 964 3,4 GHz Black Edition
Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB 1333 Mhz
Graphics: GIGABYTE HD 5850 OC
Sound: Onboard 7.1 VIA Chipset (8 Channels)

My dad has alot of 50's 60's 70's records (Vinyl), with one of those turntables that you can get them from the record to your computer (MP3 format).

Thanks again for the usefull information.

Hey there,

Thanks both of you, heres some information about my computer:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A66TD PRO
Chipset: AMD 770
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 964 3,4 GHz Black Edition
Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB 1333 Mhz
Graphics: GIGABYTE HD 5850 OC
Sound: Onboard 7.1 VIA Chipset (8 Channels)

My dad has alot of 50's 60's 70's records (Vinyl), with one of those turntables that you can get them from the record to your computer (MP3 format).

Thanks again for the usefull information.

Yea man ur pc will be perfectly capable of producing. with regards to the turntables, you need a dj specific
set of turntables and a mixer. if u dont wanna spend too much money straight away then maybe invest in a
begginer set. maybe if uve got friends that dj they may have an old setup they can sell you for cheap.

Yea man ur pc will be perfectly capable of producing. with regards to the turntables, you need a dj specific
set of turntables and a mixer. if u dont wanna spend too much money straight away then maybe invest in a
begginer set. maybe if uve got friends that dj they may have an old setup they can sell you for cheap.

Well nice to hear that, by the way. What series would you recommend getting(Pioneer DJM series mixer) I googled and i saw a 400 and a 600 series.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

whats the gemini beginner set for mad cheap like?

The beginner's set sounds interesting, can you get me more information on that :)? a few links or maybe?

Appreciate it ;)

i use a 600 and has lasted me a good 3 years, i only have the 600 as i need more than 2 channels, but if you're only gonna have 2 decks then you'll only need the 400 which fortunately is a bit cheaper.

hardware wise most people back in the jungle days were using

akai s2000 or s3000xl samplers
tascam da20 dat machine
dbx compressors
atari for sequencing

large collection of ragga 7" singles

tascam da20 dat machine
dbx compressors
atari for sequencing

So if you take those products (What i'm looking for) and replace it with something more modern for the same result.
Would you recommend anything else?

well you could replace with modern gear but u wont really match the sound of that gear

most of it can be picked up for peanuts off ebay these days - i got a mint condition da20 for £22.50 a couple of months ago and i know old akais go for nothing

suppose you should throw a analog mixing desk in there aswell anything with more than 8 channels will be fine - the older the better

can pick up some wicked deals on mixing desks these days aswell as ebay is flooded with them

tbh i think ( personal opinion) that the old akais were a massive part of early jungle cos the sound was shaped alot around the akais timestretching and lo pass filters

dont get sample packs. get samples. strangely tracker software is conductive for jungle. you can hardly sit in front of one and not start breaking up chopper beats and doing drop basses. modplug is free and so is buzz. download those, get yourself some breaks, a sub and some strings and youre off.

whats this? tell me more

tascam da20 dat machine
dbx compressors
atari for sequencing

well you could replace with modern gear but u wont really match the sound of that gear

most of it can be picked up for peanuts off ebay these days - i got a mint condition da20 for £22.50 a couple of months ago and i know old akais go for nothing

suppose you should throw a analog mixing desk in there aswell anything with more than 8 channels will be fine - the older the better

can pick up some wicked deals on mixing desks these days aswell as ebay is flooded with them

tbh i think ( personal opinion) that the old akais were a massive part of early jungle cos the sound was shaped alot around the akais timestretching and lo pass filters

the golden age, this is my era, when you look at the hardware that was used then and the hardware used now, it makes you have so much more respect for the likes of roni size, ray keith etc for there production skills..

Back
Top Bottom