Jungle Function - How's my mixing ability?

Difficult to judge without my monitors, but I don't notice any obvious problems. Maybe the synth dropping in at 4.10 is a bit overpowering the rythm, but that might just be the whole idea.

Structurewise it's a bit long without much movement or progression. You have the different parts obviously, and you can hear the relation between them at some parts, but the abrupt transitions make the song feel a bit patchy and within every 8 or 16 bar "theme" there's little movement to my feel. Absolutely dig the bird field recording you used though, pretty nice.

The part that starts at 5 minutes sounds a bit dissonant. The pad, the lead chord chops and the bass seem to follow a different harmonic movement. Interesting idea, and it can work if you keep the elements separated frequency-wise. It's like playing a C and C# on a piano. If you take the adjacent notes, that sound hideously bad. If you leave an octave in between, they call that a "flat nine" and it becomes an often-used chord coloration used in jazz. I'd pay attention to that.

The part starting at 2.38 is my favorite one (I'm a sucker for funky tunes). I missed that feel in the remainder of the track. I would personally let that one come back.

My 2 amateur cents.

Last edited:
There's a lot of dissonance here, the tune is far too long without anything happening and the transitions are really abrupt.

Make sure your samples are in if not the same key at least harmonic ones.

Difficult to judge without my monitors, but I don't notice any obvious problems. Maybe the synth dropping in at 4.10 is a bit overpowering the rythm, but that might just be the whole idea.

Structurewise it's a bit long without much movement or progression. You have the different parts obviously, and you can hear the relation between them at some parts, but the abrupt transitions make the song feel a bit patchy and within every 8 or 16 bar "theme" there's little movement to my feel. Absolutely dig the bird field recording you used though, pretty nice.

The part that starts at 5 minutes sounds a bit dissonant. The pad, the lead chord chops and the bass seem to follow a different harmonic movement. Interesting idea, and it can work if you keep the elements separated frequency-wise. It's like playing a C and C# on a piano. If you take the adjacent notes, that sound hideously bad. If you leave an octave in between, they call that a "flat nine" and it becomes an often-used chord coloration used in jazz. I'd pay attention to that.

The part starting at 2.38 is my favorite one (I'm a sucker for funky tunes). I missed that feel in the remainder of the track. I would personally let that one come back.

My 2 amateur cents.

Thank you. It is meant to be dissonant, but hopefully not too dissonant. The bassline is in the same key as the pad but uses a different scale, and the piano is out of tune.

Thank you. It is meant to be dissonant, but hopefully not too dissonant. The bassline is in the same key as the pad but uses a different scale, and the piano is out of tune.
Gotta be careful if you mix scales. If you lay down a minor chord and play a 3 instead of a 3 flat, that sounds just wrong. it's not "too" dissonant, but I lack a bit of a story. The dissonance doesn't resolve in a logic way, which makes it stick out more than you mean. Try resolving it by the end of the phrase, or try different octaves. Sometimes putting one line up an octave makes things sound completely different already.

And it's a good tune, I'm really nitpicking here ;)

Back
Top Bottom