Jump-Up??

RocksteadyUK

SkimoBeats
VIP Junglist
Been thinking over the last few weeks about how dnb has changed.
Jump-Up is by far the most popular sub-genre in dnb right now. Theres DJs croping up all over the place claiming to be "Jump-Up DJs". Why is this??

Suppose im from the generation of dnb heads that play dnb in general..... all styles.... and play stuff that i like, no matter what someone wants to catagorise it as..... this used to what defined the djs apart from each other in the good old days. I used to like listening to certain djs because i liked their choice of tunes. You used to hardly ever hear the same track more than once maybe twice at a rave.

Today it just seems most djs just play Jump-Up.....y??
Why would you want to limit yourself to one style of dnb??

These days its pretty common to hear the same track 3,4 even 5 times in one night. ie.... Machete.

My point is...... why are people playing Jump-Up so much??
and is this new wave of Jumps slowly ruining dnb? because producers are feeling forced to produce the same old typical big bass, hard drums jump-up stuff?

I mean check out Friction.... back in the day you would never have heard him put out a track like "3rd Degree Gurns".

Im not saying i dont like jump-up..... i love it..... but i cant help thinking that maybe its time the jump-up heads started pushing the scene and trying something new???

hahaha!! proper went off on one there!! hahahahah!!

Last edited:
i know i'm gonna get slated for this but i presonally thnk jump up is better when u out for a heavy night & liquid/"intelligent" (lighter side of tech) is better when ur chillin out, never really felt nuero at all so no comment

i own mostly jump up tunes but pick up the liquid/techy tunes i like coz i enjoy havin a chilled out mix late in the evening when im blazed, jump up can be a bit much sometimes
most of the time i do mix across the board, one gets a nicer blend of sounds

to answer ur question its prob down to the biggest selling cds over the last few years, DJ Hype DNB Essentials, Nightlife 3 & of course Hold Your Colour
Pendulum is the first name alot of ppl hear, so u've prob got to blame slam, tarantula & another planet

I mean check out Friction.... back in the day you would never have heard him put out a track like "3rd Degree Gurns".
have u heard butt ugly martians?

why would you get slated???

see the problem is at the moment...... its seems almost "cool" to like/DJ Jump-Up
where as neuro, Dark, Tech isnt really considered "cool" cause of its "evil" sometimes metal approach to dnb....... <--- this was the complete opposite a few years back..... jump-up was thought of as being well cheesy...... although to be fair.... jumps has improved a hell of alot since the Mickey Finn "bad ass" days....

What goes around though.....
I try to play the full spectrum of Drum&Bass in my sets, i love hearing diversity in DJ's tastes, as too much of anything can become tedious.

Last edited:
i'm not sure about that, i love jump up but theres alot of poor tunes that get made
alot are ok the first couple of times but they have no life, jus a constant bassline that goes up and down, fartstep pretty much

cos half on the scene for lots of people is 'going out and getting messy' which goes hand in hand with going nuts to jump up. as more and more people are getting introduced to raves with their growing popularity, the music is aswell.

For me i love it all. Liquid/Neuro funk is amazing music (personally i dont see how anybody could ever criticise it to be 'bad music') but love jump up equally if not more.. but in all fairness when im out i dont want to listen to liquid. its all about jump up and the experience that goes with it. soundsystem/lighting etc.

also for people who go to places like fabric etc for their first time and havent experienced raves or dnb nights before ,it opens up a whole new world to them, at least it did for me anyway. first time i went to a rave was the day my life changed.

Last edited:
What goes around though.....
I try to play the full spectrum of Drum&Bass in my sets, i love hearing diversity in DJ's tastes, as too much of anything can become tedious.

yeh same here.... i play anything that blows up the dancefloor.... not realy fussed what someone wants to catagorise it as........

to be honest though....... i do find myself playin mainly Neuro and Jumps at the min.... sometimes..... depending on the crowd i might throw in some Limewax or that sorta stuff....... and its always fun playin a soppy liquid track and droppin a big killer amen ripper in after it...... always gets the masses going!! and most of the time you get a rewind!?? hahaha.... MCs!! lol..... anything that gets them hype a little bit more than the last trak they have to reload it!!... so easily pleased!! hahaha...

i'm not sure about that, i love jump up but theres alot of poor tunes that get made
alot are ok the first couple of times but they have no life, jus a constant bassline that goes up and down, fartstep pretty much

yeah i love playin a liquid mix then suddenly bring a limewax or evol intent track...like the fucked up amen tunes makes em go mental

to be honest i want music that i can listen to..jump up is fun but i just dont want to listen to it ..its just not heavy..heavy isnt loudness heavy..to me is resonance..

honestly it just sound light and weak.... yeah when im in a club i have a dance to it..but it lacks so much of what i want.. i dont want to slag it off...

but for me it just doesnt touch me deep enough. and dnb for me should effect you even when the pills wear off.

im really not slagging it off..just dont think that jump up danceflorr stuff is all there is..

get lost in an old platinum breakz album.. ;

if you djn out try play everything.. :) /... if you go for qucik thrills evrytime you'll get bored

when i dj he biggest thrill i get is palying somthing that i loev that the crowd isnt expecting.

listen to Randall! :)

Last edited:
to be honest i want music that i can listen to..jump up is fun but i just dont want to listen to it ..its just not heavy..heavy isnt loudness heavy..to me is resonance..

honestly it just sound light and weak.... yeah when im in a club i have a dance to it..but it lacks so much of what i want.. i dont want to slag it off...

but for me it just doesnt touch me deep enough. and dnb for me should effect you even when the pills wear off.

im really not slagging it off..just dont think that jump up danceflorr stuff is all there is..

get lost in an old platinum breakz album.. ;

if you djn out try play everything.. :) /... if you go for qucik thrills evrytime you'll get bored

when i dj he biggest thrill i get is palying somthing that i loev that the crowd isnt expecting.

listen to Randall! :)

yeh same here..... when we (The Mutant DJs) play... its always a good mixture..... the 3 of us all like different aspects of dnb..... makes for a good set that everyone can appreciate....
I cant think of anything more boring than hearing a set that packed from start to end of the same sorta shit.... which is getting so much more common at the mo..... loads of sets are just packed b2b with jump-up...... same tunes in a different order..... same goes for some neuro or dark djs..... at least with neuro the tunes evolve.... so its not so boring....

yeh same here.... i play anything that blows up the dancefloor.... not realy fussed what someone wants to catagorise it as........

its good to see that there are some djs understand this, dont get me wrong i love hazard/g dub sets and jus hearin all the new dubs but there are so many random djs who just play the tunes they picked up that week

its a shame coz the guys who dj on KUSU dnb nights are a bit like that, and they ignore the dancefloor
i'm not to fussed coz i know all the tunes and gives me a chance to hear them on a bigger setup b4 buying them, but theres alot of slackers out there who dont put the time and effort in trawling the web for music and it would jus be better to chop it up with some classic sub focus/pendulum(sorry but it gets ppl up)/high contrast/chase&status from over the last few years
once ppl are on there feet if they energy stays up they wont leave the dancefloor, its jus a bit lonely when it consists purely of me, my missus and random pissed geezer

goin off on one a bit but ding is more than just the beatmatching
rant over:lol_board

Last edited:
/QUOTE]

its good to see that there are some djs understand this, dont get me wrong i love hazard/g dub sets and jus hearin all the new dubs but there are so many random djs who just play the tunes they picked up that week

its a shame coz the guys who dj on KUSU dnb nights are a bit like that, and they ignore the dancefloor
i'm not to fussed coz i know all the tunes and gives me a chance to hear them on a bigger setup b4 buying them, but theres alot of slackers out there who dont put the time and effort in trawling the web for music and it would jus be better to chop it up with some classic sub focus/pendulum(sorry but it gets ppl up)/high contrast/chase&status from over the last few years
once ppl are on there feet if they energy stays up they wont leave the dancefloor, its jus a bit lonely when it consists purely of me, my missus and random pissed geezer

well said

i went to a therepy sessions/renegade hardware night last weekend in bristol...spor limewax and noisia on the line up i thought i was expecting some heaaaaaaaaaaaavy bass. but for the first half of the night all i heard was generic jumpup. i dont mind it but only when its a faaaat tune. theres too many bad jump up tunes out there imo with not enough differentiation between them. my ears are just wanting so much more.

yep defo.... thats the problem at the moment.... too many shabby so called "DJS"..... who dont have a clue how to play at a club... they might be great on radio or at home.... but a club is different...... harder to mix.... some places its near impossible.... and u have to mix with a different style to the style you might use when on radio etc...... alot of bods make the mistake of doin really long mixs or just generally takin long to play the next trak...... you need to keep peeps attention at clubs...... big tunes.... mixed well...... reasonably quick... and above all what most of the new DJs dont do is mix in key..... alot of new djs these days have no clue about "keys" and just mix any track with any trak and wonder why it sounds gash...... luckily alot of the traks comin out are usually in the key of C but theres alot that arent.... especially liquid stuff and some dark stuff from the obscene camp....

learn about music before you start mixin!! it helps! hahaha

jump up bores me abit

alot of it has the same structure as in; wobbley bass sound then a couple of sounds in multiple chords e.g die and clipz - number one.....too many tunes with that structure ..no creativity eg ra (original sin remix)

to be fair check doppe ammo's nes cd album..... its honestly good... :)

yeah, was thinking the same. they're well underrated generally though.

i started mixin 2 and a half months ago and all i was thinking was "im going to play only jump-up" - now im mixing mostly jumpup, but only the stuff i like, not feeling hovercraft e.g., and throw in some liquid-rollers like KG's stronger&stronger or commix' be true and some dutty ragga-tunes to bring in some diversity - i think i got to put a mix on if im in a good mood :lol: doesnt want to embarass you xD

It easy to hold the jumpup beat (ie dance to).....others (amen for instance) are meant for times when you want something to get lost in/pay attention to.

I love hearing both on club systems, im sure most of you do.

Back
Top Bottom