Jump Up Sounds

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Why are my jump up sounds always so incredably naff!?

Trying to make that horrible growly sound that pleasure and hazard use.

cant come close. any tips?

Marlok... Ritchie... I'm lookin at you....

Sorry no one else has replied dude, I could do with understanding how those sounds are created too. I think it's a combination of saw and square waves, with lots of distortion and bit crushed to fuck and back!

Yeah. Sorry. Was gonna post one up in the first post but I was in a bit of a rush...

OK. A few examples:
The main bassline crunchy synth thing in this ^^

Also:
Main bassline synth again in this^^

And finally:
Ditto^^

That last one is dirty as fuck! Majistrate is a dancefloor smasher demon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just listened to the first one,
sound pretty poor/easy to me (no offense).
If you meant the bassline with a layer on top:

create a rich sound (massive/fm7or8) by rich i mean with lot of fequencies from 30hz to 10khz, split it in two
one for the bass low passed, one for the med/high high passed.
Boost the bass if necessary, then tweak the other with distortion.
You can mess around with an envelope for more interesting attack.
At the synthesis stage, don't forget to check for a relatively rich crunchy med/highs. You can polish a lot at the processing stage but as a lot of producers say around here "you cant polish a turd".

*Btw you are not forced to use the same sound for bass and lead, you can just make the top layer the same way, just forget about the bass splitting.*

Keep going, producing is nothing more than trying and trying and trying and....

Edit:

I agree, try to create your own sounds. Moreover those tracks are pretty old, D&B has progressed a lot since those. Even if you succeeded in making those sounds, you'd be pretty out of date now. Again, no offense.

Last edited:
Sorry no one else has replied dude, I could do with understanding how those sounds are created too. I think it's a combination of saw and square waves, with lots of distortion and bit crushed to fuck and back!

pretty much this... i don't always bit crush though

lfo is also the key in my opinion, as it gives it the movement it needs, and if you map the sub with a similar lfo makes the whole thing more interesting

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Hmmm.. instead why don't you mess around with synthesizers and stuff and create your own unique sound. ;)

well, by figuring out how to make these sounds... it will only further his knowledge of his synth, improving his ability to make his own unique sounds ;)

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Cheers mate. Erm... Albino 3/Massive

what daw you using? i make all my synths with operator from ableton!

For the second 2 examples you posted you can make a similar sound in reason using the malstrom synth

Change the oscillators both to 'Elektronik' wave and have them on the same octave and use the cent control to detune each one in the opposite direction (around 6-10)
Then turn the motion down on both of them and move both the index sliders to the far right and with one of the oscilliators move the Shift control down to about -10
Send the oscillators through the shaper have it on Clip mode with amount around the middle
Apply the LFO in Mod B to filter (filters on LP12) Bit of tape distortion and unison and that should get a sound pretty similar to the ones your after

Also for that majistrate track there is a preset in Massive that sounds pretty much exactly the same its called Brutal Electro 2 that should help you work out how to get that sort of sound

Hope this helped :)

Last edited:
If you wanna come up with your own dirty sounds it's sometimes nice to work backwards. As in put the distortion on the end of the plug in chain before you start makin the sound. Then flick through your synths waveforms to see what works well with it.

as for those sounds in the youtubes you wanna look at dirty throat and dirty needle in massive i reckon.

Back
Top Bottom