jump up skank out tune.

Not bad man. Below are my thoughts:

• Your main snare sounds good and has nice organic character, but there seems to be a bit of frequency confliction between your main snare and the snare in the amen break. I'd either eq cut the snare freq. from the amen break, or chop up the break and mute the snare hits so that your main snare shines through the mix more.
  • The drums sound good, but need some more variation–throw in some fills and random breaks to keep things interesting. It all becomes a bit repetitive rather quickly, like a nonstop amen loop. Try chopping the amen break and rearranging the parts.
  • Love the vocal and the way you pitch it up during the build. Perhaps add a riser and other fx to the build(s) to enhance the anticipation/tension a bit and to fill up the sonic space.
  • When the beat came back in at 1:33, I was expecting to get my face smashed in by a brutal synth lead or a new dirty noise...so the lack of both kind of left me a bit bored. It's like the track sort of regressed as opposed to progressed through the introduction of new sounds and/or arrangements.
  • All in all, it seems like a good skeleton for a track. You just need to go back in and start fleshing it out with some variation and more sounds to add interest.

FYI, in the future you should embed the soundcloud clip into the post rather than an external link. I'm a bit of a lazy bastard and often don't listen to a track because I have to click through somewhere else. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm quite sure I'm not alone with this school of thought.

Cheers.

quality feedback mate thats exactly the shit i was hoping to hear. iv not finished it yet so ill deffo add more bits to it, was thinkin of a drumstep breakdown, at the moment its just looped as u can tell.
i hadnt noticed the clash with the amens, i thought they sounded good. i hadnt really chopped them much on purpose as its just rolls. an now days you dont see too much chopped amens. choppin amens is my favorite thing though so i guess a little bit of subtle changes cant hurt!

and yer i have exported the basses as audio, boosted the subs, and then boosted a bit of top end in the others. do you find this as a clash then, or not a good technique to use??

thanks for posting guys

Main things I'd say...
The intro synth.... not a bad arrangement- sounds too like Presety though if you know what I mean?
also I like the first and main bass noise, just try and phatten it up a little bit if you can using whatever you have to- more distortion and Eqing and spacing it nicely to it fills up a bit more stereo in the highs.
The bass that comes in at 58 seconds. I know its obviously just a plain square or whatever.. dont know if its just me, but i personally find that sound really boring and more like reminiscent of proper oldschool synthesis like 70s and 80s and garage I don't see how it fits in to modern jump up really... I'd try and make a better whomp thats on par with your first sound... maybe like use squares for it the way you have but process them to the extreme that they dont sound that bland

The intro sound is on JUNOX2 and wasnt a preset, it was my own sound i created off it. I then ran it through camel space to get a wider effect.
ill beef the sounds up a bit more. thanks for the input mate. :)

...do you find this as a clash then, or not a good technique to use??

Glad I could help out mate.

As much as I hate to say such a cliche' statement, it really depends on the sound itself. If the sound is lacking the top end (or mid for that matter), then give that fucker a boost. If it sounds like shit, simply undo it. Trust your ears as they'll give you the best feedback.

Be careful when boosting those subs though, a little bit goes a long way when dealing with low end frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom