Jump Up Production Tips

Emperawr

Hello people ! I am new to producing music, started not a long time ago. I got both serum and ni massive the problem is that I can't get any close to jump up synths or basslines I don't really know the term, I am playing with Serum for 3 days because ni massive feels like too hard. Though I got some sounds but I am not really enjoying them, I feel like they aren't that complex as they should be. Can anybody help me with some tips on what wavetables/filters/lfo stuff like this I should use to get things as close as possible to jump up ? My sounds are like having no color, I mean they aren't having that jump up flow ( I don't know how to explain it ), I can play them only on lower notes if I try to play them on higher they are just pitched af sounds which got nothing to do with jump up. I would love to know how to make sounds that are like those:
I know that that's really a lot to work on producing but I enjoy it but in times like this I feel like I am running in a circle that why I really beg for tips. Thanks for reading my huge post !
Edit: my sounds are more like some farts :D:D:D

Best advice is pick a decent genre.... Jump up can suck my............. .
Jump up isn't a bad genre (he's just posted 2 pretty tragic bootlegs imo).

Of course it's musical, you can still be a talented jump up producer, look at the likes of Dominator, Majistrate, Hesit & Logan D.

@Emperawr Don't force yourself into a genre you aren't passionate about, produce what you want to produce, but if I was you I wouldn't use these sort of tunes as a basis for what you're looking to achieve. Take a look at tracks by recognised, top producers or renown labels at the top of whichever sub-genre you want to produce music within & decide off those what vibe you're looking for.

Last edited:

Of course it's musical, you can still be a talented jump up producer, look at the likes of Dominator, Majistrate, Hesit & Logan D.

@Emperawr Don't force yourself into a genre you aren't passionate about, produce what you want to produce, but if I was you I wouldn't use these sort of tunes as a basis for what you're looking to achieve. Take a look at tracks by recognised, top producers or renown labels at the top of whichever sub-genre you want to produce music within & decide off those what vibe you're looking for.
i humbly disagree 125%

To be honest, jump up is the genre which really made me love drum and bass, listening to it for over an year, and it kinda passionate me, but, the thing is I am really new to all this music stuff, daw, plugins and pretty much everything and sometimes I just feeling running in a circle, everytime when I am trying to get something cool in serum I am screwing it so hard.

Try buying some presets heist does a great one for massive and good for what your trying to archive

Man, I am not into that, I prefer to make my own music, in my opinion you pick a name when you start doing music so everyone can hear your own stuff, your own ideas, if you would just buy things from others you can be nameless too, you didn't make that stuff or I might be wrong, only my opinion.

Don't get me wrong it's a fun genre especially if you're on drugs LOL, but it's just not Musical

For me it is a fun genre even if I am sober as fuck, not every track is musical but there are some too, I just like it a lot.

I'm in a similar position, I only picked up my controller 2 months ago and found the whole idea of mixing mind boggling. Now able to record for 30 mins or so without any major faults. Production wise I'm still learning, haven't made too much progress but I've literally only been at it for 2 weeks.

Keep watching videos and you'll slowly pick it all up without even noticing. Alternatively once you've got the basics sussed, just experiment.

I'm in a similar position, I only picked up my controller 2 months ago and found the whole idea of mixing mind boggling. Now able to record for 30 mins or so without any major faults. Production wise I'm still learning, haven't made too much progress but I've literally only been at it for 2 weeks.

Keep watching videos and you'll slowly pick it all up without even noticing. Alternatively once you've got the basics sussed, just experiment.

I am into producing for 2 weeks too, though I just found something called syntorial and from what I've read it is made to teach you understanding better plug-ins like ni massive and serum, just downloaded the demo version and I will give it a try later, after I finish studying for my exam, if it helps me I will pm you, if you want to understand them better !

The first one is saw (like) waves and processing. No idea on the second one except it sounds like some non-basic waveform or then it's made with FM. Tbh just make whatever synth stabs you can with the best of your abilities and sidechain it to a muted hi-hat hitting 4/4 or use Volumeshaper or do audio editing or envelope or whatever. There are probably tutorials on Yt also.

um yeah, lol

I just pointed out 2 aspects per sound, the assumed source sound and that each note has volume movement. I left out all the speculation on what and how many different effects there might be, what sort of settings synths etc. But okay since you definitely have to know better, would you please share your knowledge with us, so that we get the big picture? What would be the way to not over think it?

And

Any releases from you?

no.

I just pointed out 2 aspects per sound, the assumed source sound and that each note has volume movement. I left out all the speculation on what and how many different effects there might be, what sort of settings synths etc. But okay since you definitely have to know better, would you please share your knowledge with us, so that we get the big picture? What would be the way to not over think it?

And

no.
not putting you down by any means my dude just asking... but when a seasoned producer offers you advice you might at least look into it instead of acting like you have the same level of experience, just saying ;)

especially cuz I can make the sound you're after in about 5 min...

not putting you down by any means my dude just asking... but when a seasoned producer offers you advice you might at least look into it instead of acting like you have the same level of experience, just saying ;)

You didn't exactly bring up your expertise in your advice. You just said we are "over thinking it". That could be true, but that's also something that anyone could say, without even reading the thread on the whole. It would have been quite different if you would have said something like "You guys are over thinking it, because it's actually made using with X waveform, Y settings and Z processing".

especially cuz I can make the sound you're after in about 5 min...

OP is after the sound. I've never listen to jump up except when people on forums ask how it's done. Never done it myself either.

However I did give it a try this time:

Look dude there's no way I can tell what you want me to say for you to not shed tears, I wasn't trying to pick a fight, but you have a big mouth and ran it without having the experience that I have if you didn't ask for more in-depth info out of given it to you brother also got to do is ask Buddy I'd be more than happy to help you figure out how to make that sound

Back
Top Bottom