Jump up DnB vs Brostep

sonicjunglist

Just a confession... is Jump up Drum and Bass in the same league as mid range Dubstep?

If there is one thing I have always liked about Drum and Bass is the variety.. Right down from the back catalog of early Jungle sounds through to the robotic bouncy baselines of Jump up Drum and Bass and the mad complex breaks of Darkstep or whatever its called (I just call it dark)

However when it comes to Dubstep I just can't seem to appreciate this wank Brostep skrillex bollocks. I mean where is the Dub in that? My first Dubstep rave was at a night called FWD years back and from what i can remember the sound was fresh and was a nice break from Drum and Bass. Sure you had your artists like Coki and Widdler pushing the mid range sounds in Dubstep but it was still very experimental and had a overall vibe of space and darkness

Nowadays Dubstep is like a poor mans Drum and Bass. It copies all its sounds from Jump up and just seems to be wobbly and "filthy" for the sake of it. DnB I feel gets away with it due to its pace and the mid range sounds in general just seem to be more subtle.

Now im even starting to see an electro/trance influence sort of emulating the Liquid sound in the Dubstep scene just making it seem mainstream and pop like. and thats no good. It doesn't help that all these poser american kids are jumping on it aswell.

I guess what made me realize this is the confusion I get from people when I spin Jump up DnB and not post wobble fest Dubstep (Brostep) cuz quite frankly Robots having sexual intercourse with dinosaurs sounds putrid at 140 bpm (opinion)

I believe Dubstep and DnB compliment each-other very nicely when done right but now im starting to loose faith.

Also I cant STAND IT when these youtube kids claim Jump up DnB is some sort of "faster Dubstep" Lmao. what a load of cack

i liked dubstep at one point, but that was back when dubstep was still dubstep.

rusko is actually the dude at the forefront of that 'new' dubstep sound, he admits it and highly regrets it. Now everyone and their dogs is jumping on the bandwagon because it can make them a lot of money.

and yeah, 'brostep' was originally a term coined by the dubstep community to take the piss out of that style, now it's being used seriously.

It's all a pile of shit, guess you have to reach for Benga etc. for real dubstep. They should get the tunes down on the low ends, dunno if I've missed this but I'm sure I haven't heard any serious basslines in dubstep?

It's all a pile of shit, guess you have to reach for Benga etc. for real dubstep. They should get the tunes down on the low ends, dunno if I've missed this but I'm sure I haven't heard any serious basslines in dubstep?

you deaf son? unless you're referring to what is now called dubstep, which they have the cheek to call bass music.

Now im even starting to see an electro/trance influence sort of emulating the Liquid sound in the Dubstep scene just making it seem mainstream and pop like. and thats no good. It doesn't help that all these poser american kids are jumping on it aswell.

Also I cant STAND IT when these youtube kids claim Jump up DnB is some sort of "faster Dubstep" Lmao. what a load of cack

look m8 u obviously dnt knw edm music that well the genre's called "quick dub" because its just dubstep (basslines?) but faster. u pull ur head outta ur arse mbe youl pick up onnit a bit?

But really, being an American fan of dnb I find it better to just keep things along in broad terms. There won't ever really be a point where you'll see 'brostep' in your genre category on beatport because really as it is it's just an easy way to describe music that lacks soul. And this isn't necessarily a demeaning thing, many tunes (dnb and dubstep alike) are made with the intention of only appealing to a party crowd. Take tunes like Mr. Happy and Stomp and compare them to a lot of 'brostep' and you'll find that the crowd appreciates it much the same. This is mostly because it appeals to drunk people. I'll even go as far as to call some dnb brostep just because some of it is just so balls to the wall party centered. Like most of what Sigma or Hazard is known for.

quick dub. hahaha fucks sake all these stupid names for stupid music.

15cfw1x.jpg

From what I recall this is what Dubstep is/should be (y)

anyway, if u dont like just dont listen to it

Yeah but this is my point. Jump up DnB and mid range cackstep are constantly grouped together.

I mean yeah I can see why.. they both have a similar sort of sound and vibe (and one blatantly copies off the other) but Even at live sets it really annoys me when Drum and Bass DJs drop a brostep tune for shits and giggles. and on the other end all these Brostep fannies have never even heard of / don't appreciate JU DnB

also with Dubstep gaining mainstream popularity its kind of hard to ignore it altogether.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom