Jump up DnB vs Brostep

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by sonicjunglist, Jul 17, 2012.

1. sonicjunglist

sonicjunglist :Sounds of Intelligence:

Just a confession... is Jump up Drum and Bass in the same league as mid range Dubstep?

If there is one thing I have always liked about Drum and Bass is the variety.. Right down from the back catalog of early Jungle sounds through to the robotic bouncy baselines of Jump up Drum and Bass and the mad complex breaks of Darkstep or whatever its called (I just call it dark)

However when it comes to Dubstep I just can't seem to appreciate this wank Brostep skrillex bollocks. I mean where is the Dub in that? My first Dubstep rave was at a night called FWD years back and from what i can remember the sound was fresh and was a nice break from Drum and Bass. Sure you had your artists like Coki and Widdler pushing the mid range sounds in Dubstep but it was still very experimental and had a overall vibe of space and darkness

Nowadays Dubstep is like a poor mans Drum and Bass. It copies all its sounds from Jump up and just seems to be wobbly and "filthy" for the sake of it. DnB I feel gets away with it due to its pace and the mid range sounds in general just seem to be more subtle.

Now im even starting to see an electro/trance influence sort of emulating the Liquid sound in the Dubstep scene just making it seem mainstream and pop like. and thats no good. It doesn't help that all these poser american kids are jumping on it aswell.

I guess what made me realize this is the confusion I get from people when I spin Jump up DnB and not post wobble fest Dubstep (Brostep) cuz quite frankly Robots having sexual intercourse with dinosaurs sounds putrid at 140 bpm (opinion)

I believe Dubstep and DnB compliment each-other very nicely when done right but now im starting to loose faith.

Also I cant STAND IT when these youtube kids claim Jump up DnB is some sort of "faster Dubstep" Lmao. what a load of cack

2. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

fort brostep was the joke genre?

3. sonicjunglist

So did I but now apparently people are taking it seriously

To be honest im kind of glad its got that nick name since in a way it differentiates itself from real Dubstep

haha kind of makes me remember the days of "Clownstep" .. thank god that never took off

4. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

just ignore it and listen to good music.

simple

5. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

i liked dubstep at one point, but that was back when dubstep was still dubstep.

rusko is actually the dude at the forefront of that 'new' dubstep sound, he admits it and highly regrets it. Now everyone and their dogs is jumping on the bandwagon because it can make them a lot of money.

and yeah, 'brostep' was originally a term coined by the dubstep community to take the piss out of that style, now it's being used seriously.

6. WhoSayReload?

WhoSayReload? Well-Known Member

It's all a pile of shit, guess you have to reach for Benga etc. for real dubstep. They should get the tunes down on the low ends, dunno if I've missed this but I'm sure I haven't heard any serious basslines in dubstep?

7. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

you deaf son? unless you're referring to what is now called dubstep, which they have the cheek to call bass music.

8. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

music is shit in general

9. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

This

10. esbob

esbob Member

look m8 u obviously dnt knw edm music that well the genre's called "quick dub" because its just dubstep (basslines?) but faster. u pull ur head outta ur arse mbe youl pick up onnit a bit?

But really, being an American fan of dnb I find it better to just keep things along in broad terms. There won't ever really be a point where you'll see 'brostep' in your genre category on beatport because really as it is it's just an easy way to describe music that lacks soul. And this isn't necessarily a demeaning thing, many tunes (dnb and dubstep alike) are made with the intention of only appealing to a party crowd. Take tunes like Mr. Happy and Stomp and compare them to a lot of 'brostep' and you'll find that the crowd appreciates it much the same. This is mostly because it appeals to drunk people. I'll even go as far as to call some dnb brostep just because some of it is just so balls to the wall party centered. Like most of what Sigma or Hazard is known for.

11. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

quick dub. hahaha fucks sake all these stupid names for stupid music.

12. sonicjunglist

quick dub

lol?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

show me examples of Brostep and/or quick dub please.

14. sonicjunglist

[​IMG]

From what I recall this is what Dubstep is/should be (y)

15. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

quick dub? how fuckin anal is that.

anyway, if u dont like just dont listen to it

16. sonicjunglist

Yeah but this is my point. Jump up DnB and mid range cackstep are constantly grouped together.

I mean yeah I can see why.. they both have a similar sort of sound and vibe (and one blatantly copies off the other) but Even at live sets it really annoys me when Drum and Bass DJs drop a brostep tune for shits and giggles. and on the other end all these Brostep fannies have never even heard of / don't appreciate JU DnB

also with Dubstep gaining mainstream popularity its kind of hard to ignore it altogether.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  17. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

I guess he doesn't know what Drumstep is, so he calls it quick dub (?)

18. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

harryhill.jpeg ?

19. Norwax

Norwax Well-Known Member

[video]Distinction & Kromestar - Zappah[/video]

watch yo' speakers mate.

20. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

and people that don't know what half-time dnb is call it drumstep?