Jonny L - Does It / Play - 23.22

tyranny

VIP Junglist
Not been too keen on much he has done since he wound up Mr L records, but this is a PROPER return to form IMO, those 23:22 releases have been steadily getting better but he has pretty much nailed this
release, much sparser, darker, more stripped back and groove based than a lot of music in recent years.

Anyone who buys Cylon records and who dug the old Jonny L stuff will dig these I reckon. "Play" is the pick of the two for me. Kind of an odd, angular halftime military drumfunk vibe going on in the clip, dramatic snares with tonnes of reverb, deep kicks and double time hat patterns.

Digital only though, which is kind of a kick in the tits for me, but hey.

https://pro.beatport.com/label/23-22/47283

I liked the first track.

Also it's the first time I've noticed that there are two d'n'b labels with almost identical names - 23:22 and 22:22. Release numbers are especially confusing.

Wow, both tunes are oddly good and well different, definitely his best 23:22 release and probably the best Jonny L release in years (come to think of it I have to check out his album on Spearhead to confirm that statement)

I love this guys since I've heard tune Brother, incredible producer.

Both tunes are strange but great, I have to check the rest of this label's releases out.

(come to think of it I have to check out his album on Spearhead to confirm that statement)

Are you talking about his last LP? In a Jungle?

It's very good man, check it out.
Half of it is very kitchy, you will feel like you are raving in a candy land, but still it is awesome.
The rest is more in style of classic jonny l, who we all love I am sure.
So it is pretty balanced. Good LP.

I loved his last lp! Proper happy hardcore dnb! 'Does it' is proper dark and very different from his usual sound. Love both bits. Guy is a true legend to me

New release out today.
Hallow / In Sight

Hallow is going back to the early Piranha days and In sight takes it to jump up territory with a sinister edge. Both quality tunes and again showcasing the diversity in Jonny L's sound

Are you talking about his last LP? In a Jungle?

It's very good man, check it out.
Half of it is very kitchy, you will feel like you are raving in a candy land, but still it is awesome.
The rest is more in style of classic jonny l, who we all love I am sure.
So it is pretty balanced. Good LP.
Yeah, just listened to clips online, guess I don't like 'kitchy' then

Most of the tunes are let down either by cheesy vocals, melodies or tempo. I've no idea why he's decided to record most of the tunes with classic breaks at ~180? Too busy sounding for my liking. :-/

Having said that, 'Remember' is nice, and 'Dub' is a wicked tune and the winner here. 'M45' would've been solid tune as well if it was ~170.

His tunes are almost always ridiculously fast, but when you pull them back to a sensible tempo they sound even better imo.

Its not usually smart to judge a Jonny L tune until you have played it the way you like to play it in other words.

Still, having said that, I don't think I bought a Jonny L tune since "Oh Yeah" came out.

If you listen to Does it, it sounds like samples from Pink Floyd dark side of the moon are taken, i could be wrong but tracks ''On the Run'' and ''Time''

Last edited:
Does It is the only really good tune on this 23:22 thing, the others you can take it or leave. Play sounded good at first, but it's a little all over the place for me, but it's quirky and unlike much else out there.

Back
Top Bottom