Joh Cleese schools USA on FOOTBALL

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by richie_stix, Jul 2, 2010.

1. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

This was funny; he does make a valid point that most american sports are tailor made for commercials, given our capitalist society that's to be expected and is one of the things I love about soccer, the game doesn't stop...but the rest of it's a little off base, no creativity? have you ever seen a running back breaking ankles in the open field? A quarterback evading 300 pound plus defensive lineman who run 4.4 forty yard dashes while keeping his eyes 20 yards downfield looking for an open reciever? A middle linebacker making audibles or faking audibles right before a play, plus the complexity of the schemes used on any given play requires much more creativity than anything strategy used in a whole game of soccer; so miss me with that no creativity shit. Really soccer is probably more comparable to basketball of our american sports, where as you have to create plays on the fly. And soccer's jazz, and football's jingle's lol, i kinda liked that analogy, but jazz was created here too; and yea football doesn't make sense but whatever, its what we've called it for years so whatever, seems like we're pretty good at both football games now eh?

3. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

this is like me saying i am good at homejrjkfsboufnarg

just because nobody else knows, or gives a fuck about it (y)

4. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

alright then... answer me this.

why is there a 'world series' of baseball when its only played in the US?

5. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

because we started the game in America, and all the best players in the world come to play in the MLB in America, plus for years it wasn't really an international sport; still isn't much of one, I mean, central america, Caribbean, Korea, Japan are pretty much the only places its taken seriously, so why wouldn't they call it the world series?

6. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

because that suggests it is a world event.

it really isn't. you may have noticed in the FIFA world cup, all the teams are from different countries all around the world. not just one continent, or even just one country. that is why the shouldn't

7. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

try and tell me this doesn't require creativity.....oh and also notice how they jump right up after getting hit extremely hard and not rolling around like they're dying

8. inderjitfarm

inderjitfarm Member

it can be argued that it requires skill but the fundamental issue is why its called Amercian Football where predominately they use their hands. It should be called Handball which would be a true reflection and description of the sport.

9. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

Cleese is a hero. Also to the above poster, football is a non contact sport unlike american football which is. Try watching some rugby (without your bent padding) to see a proper contact sport.

10. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

please, the padding is more used as weapons and makes the hits harder, plus american football is a much more wide open sport than rugby, and far more entertaining

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

I agree that football isn't the best description, and it used to confuse me as a child, but i mean, regardless of what the name is it requires far more athleticism, creativity, brains, and strength than any other sport in the world

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

here's your answer, by the way you brits invented the word soccer...

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

oh and my favorite part: "Just as intriguing, for those who like to lambaste American Football being called such when the ball interacts primarily with hands, most of the earliest forms of Football were named thus, not because you kicked a ball with your foot, but because they were played on foot. Peasants played most of their sports on foot; aristocrats played most of theirs on horseback. Thus, games played on foot were called “football”, whether they had anything to do with kicking a ball or not. Indeed, many of the earliest forms of football involved carrying balls in an attempt to get across goal lines passed some opposing team or individual players.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

and our goalie saved a penalty shot to help you beat the Germans in "football" ;)

11. Gr1pz

Gr1pz Aka - Align.

lol 1 american football player = 3 rugby players... they weigh like 300+ pounds. they would kill a rugby player.

12. MAJESTIC

MAJESTIC BishBashBosh

Padding? Weapon?

fucking lol

13. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

if they could catch them. fat good for nothing fucks.

14. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

ha ha ha

dnbeeforum.co.uk

15. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

yes, helmets and shoulder pads are hard on the outside, i'd rather get hit with someone's head then someone wearing a helmet, trust me, if you've ever played the sport you'd understand

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

actually they're all pretty fast tbh, the linebackers and fullbacks are usually around 250 pounds all muscle and run between 4.4 and 4.6 40's which translates to to world class speed, the only people that could be considered 'fat' are nose tackles and some offensive lineman, and they're still ridiculously fast and athletic for their size

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

if soccer was the popular sport in america we'd probably have the best strikers etc. too, we have the world's best athletes by far, thing is for most of them soccer's an afterthought, the people who play soccer in America are usually the ones who were too weak to play american football, or not athletic enough to play basketball

16. Gr1pz

Gr1pz Aka - Align.

The last bit is kinda unnecessary tbh. Soccer requires ridiculous stamina and athleticism being that you are constantly running up and down the field unlike any american sport besides basketball I suppose. On the other hand I think the US doesnt have too many good players because the country views soccer the same way europe views american football.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

everything else is spot on though.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

lol are you serious? have you ever been hit by someone wearing football pads and a helmet?

17. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

This is kinda true, but you may have the sheer amount of talent due to the size of the country and the funding too, but look at the Ghana team in the world cup and compare it to the England team, England team is incredibly wealthy, yet the ghana team is probably being paid in goats.

And ghana by far have been the most amazing to watch in this tournament, due to pure passion and heart.

In a nutshell most american sports succsess can be bought but with football its a mixture of funding and development and heart which is a hard thing to juggle, hence why the england team failed so hard on.

18. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

i don't buy that even slightly. From everyone i know in the states they say that they play a lot of football for fun (sorry, what is soccer?) and it seems that the other sports are chosen (basketball and american football (aka hand egg)) because there are more teams readily available to play for. i can't comment on anything other than what i know from experience but that seems to be the case. and basketball does not need more athleticism than football, they are only jogging for 40 yards or so at a time, rather than sprinting 100+yards at a time.

19. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

yea, also in american football they have loads of substitutes, and are constantly taking players on and off (in between ad breaks this is) footballers have to play full 90 mins running from end to end of the pitch, and only get 3 subs in that 90 mins. you cant say real football requires lesser athletes.

20. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

I wouldn't say lesser athletes, I mean there's obviously something to be said for the stamina that's required to play a full game of association football, but with american football not only do you have to have world class speed, but nearly world class strength; and yea i know there's breaks and subs, but that's because every play is a full on sprint, and you're exerting violent force every play; so the pounding you take as well as the cardiovascular effort makes them about even i'd say; I mean after you play an american football game you're terribly soar for at least 3 days, it's like getting beat up literally; that's why American football games are played once a week, you need that time for recovery as well as to gameplan for your next game; watching hours of film on your opponents looking for tendencies and learning their plays etc.

But that's a tangent, honestly, I've watched every game of this world cup, bought fifa the whole nine, I'm definitely enjoying soccer; I think both sports have incredible athletes and enjoy watching both; I just obviously am partial to the sport I've grown up with, as most of you probably are as well